We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There seems to be a bug with this map

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
There seems to be a bug with this map

I'm looking at restaurants in Exeter on this page: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186254-Exeter…

Look at the map and you can see all the restaurants. Now, try and zoom in on the map and most of the restaurants disappear. In fact, when you zoom in so just the city of Exeter is on the map, it only shows 2 restaurants. This is making it very difficult to find good restaurants in the city as they are simply not showing up. Zooming in is not the only thing that causes this. If you just move the map a little, you will see that most of the restaurants in Exeter just disappear.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the Support Forum.

As an FYI, I'm a member like you and not TA Staff. I've been playing with the map that you've linked to. What I've noticed is that as the map zooms in and out, the restaurants listed on the left hand side become fewer or more depending on the area. So, it seems to coincide with area. Is this what you're noticing as well?

L4

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

Hi L4,

The map is not working like it is supposed to.The restaurants do not coincide with area. Look at the map on the page and you can see the bulk of the restaurants are in Exeter city center. Now, zoom in to Exeter city center and all of the restaurants disappear. I will illustrate this with screenshots below.

When I first go on the page, this is what I see (you can see the large amount of restaurants in Exeter city center): http://i.imgur.com/xQ9Oo.png

When I zoom in a little, this is what I see (you can see that the large amount of restaurants in Exeter city center have now disappeared): http://i.imgur.com/mkMwX.png

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
49,911 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

Hi Daniel ~

I have no patience with the Bing map. What I do is use maps.google.com and enter the city. Then on the left side where the hyperlink says "search nearby" I enter "restaurants" or hotels, or pharmacies or whatever. All the restaurants show up, zoomed in they get refined. The balloon letters match the information in the left sidebar. Then I can read both the google reviews (linked within the entries) and the ones on TA, much more reliably than on Bing. TA is not the same with Bing. When I'm specifically wanting to read reviews, I open two tabs, one for Google maps and one for TA reviews.

http://goo.gl/maps/4DnPs

Because Google began to charge hefty prices to users with over a certain number of map hits, TA changed to Bing. It may be some time before Bing gets up to speed with the way Google works.

Edited: 10:51 pm, August 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

Hi Daniel,

Mufti, thanks for the tips and Daniel, thanks for posting the links. Daniel, if you want to, you can inform TA Staff (and include the URL of this thread):

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the Bing maps on the HUMTAB (Help us make TripAdvisor better!) Forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k5290449-…

L4

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
37,991 posts
218 reviews
5. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

Daniel,

When I look at the listing of restaurants in Exeter (this page)

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g186254-Exeter_D…

which I believe is the same that you linked to on your first post, I see only three restaurants in the list and the corresponding numbers (1-3) on the map.

However, you mentioned that there are many restaurants and your map photos show lots of pins. Are we looking at different pages?

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
49,911 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

I see at least 27 little blue flags showing restaurants in your link Silvia. There are 220 restaurants in the reviews listing. The same for the link in the OP.

Edited: 1:22 am, August 13, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
37,991 posts
218 reviews
7. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

I still see three, Mufti, and three restaurants listed on that page. Interesting. Tomorrow I check again but with a computer. I'm using the full version of TA on my iPad now.

Silvia

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
37,991 posts
218 reviews
8. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

Oh I see, I only see three restaurants because I zoomed in to where it reads Exeter on the map. The list of restaurants and pins is then reduced to the smaller area zoomed in the map. Neat but confusing.

Silvia

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
104 reviews
9. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

>Neat but confusing.

Neat but totally wrong.

As a fairly large city Exeter has a lot more than three restaurants in its central area and of the three that are shown two are in different towns (Rajpoot Indian Restaurant, Okehampton and Gurkha Restaurant, Dawlish) and shouldn't appear on the Exeter centre map.

It would appear that many Exeter area restaurants either have no map pin at all or it points to to the wrong location.

Given the precision of British post codes there should be no excuse for map pins to be more than a few yards out in city centres but they are frequently wrong by large amounts.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
104 reviews
10. Re: There seems to be a bug with this map

It appears the problem is worse than just wrong/missing map pins!

For example, Giraffe restaurant tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186254-… has a map pin in the correct location in the centre of Exeter but if from the main Exeter restaurant page (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186254-Exeter_Devon_England.html ) you zoom into that area it does not appear - bizarre.

Get answers to your questions