We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New iPad app is buggy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,502 posts
150 reviews
New iPad app is buggy

I upgraded my TA iPad app and saw it had a new veneer and was faster when the links were clicked on. At times one has to click on the links and wait. Other times it is fast. If I search using the main search on TA and then get results and then try to click back it hangs. I cannot even get back to home Within then forum posts. Links dont resolve into links but just text

In the past I did not have to restart my iPad to get the TA app to work but I have had to do it numerous times. I dont think this release was tested at all. Just a smoke test to show off the veneer and the speed and shipped. come on TA make sure your qa team has a good test plan and tests the basic features before shipping the release

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
66,872 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: New iPad app is buggy

Hi belomiser;

TA staff have asked for feedback on the mobile app to be sent to;

www.tripadvisor.com/help/mobile_feedback

I would suggest using that method of feedback, as well as your post here.

Best Regards

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,502 posts
150 reviews
2. Re: New iPad app is buggy

Done. Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
66,872 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: New iPad app is buggy

You're Welcome !

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
214 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: New iPad app is buggy

I do not have hyperlinks when members post links in forums so can't access the info. Any ideas for fixes?

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
214 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: New iPad app is buggy

I do not have hyperlinks when members post links in forums so can't access the info. Any ideas for fixes?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
37,496 posts
207 reviews
6. Re: New iPad app is buggy

Hyperlinks are indeed comi g out as text. I and other members have reported the issue.

Use the link on RescueTeam's first post to report it.

Here is another thread on hyperlinks not working:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5382013…

Silvia

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,502 posts
150 reviews
7. Re: New iPad app is buggy

I reported this and many other issues via the mobile feedback link and have heard zip from the support team. I stand with what i said in my original post. Someone slapped a new veneer on a buggy IPAD app. amazed an executive who must have said, "Wow that looks really good. Great Job" and it was released without exhaustive testing.

The current iphone app also has serious thread reply issues where the reply from a past thread shows up when one goes to edit the reply to a current thread

Bottom line the QA people have a set of tests which DO NOT emulate real world usage -- so they don't know how to test it. It is a shame that TA QA does not know how to use its own application and therefore cannot test its basic mobile features.

Edited: 10:41 am, May 14, 2012
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
15,861 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: New iPad app is buggy

I have to agree belomiser.

There are so many problems with both the iPhone and iPad app that I've deleted them both and just use the full site through Safari.

I addition to the ones you mentioned there is also the issue of double posts appearing because the submit button doesn't seem to be working when it is, inability to enlarge text on the screen so writing and editing posts is really fiddly, inability to report inappropriate content or delete ones own post, inability to have a look at members profiles.......

The App seems to have been designed for the review section and hotel booking part of TA where it works well. For people who use the forums it's next to useless.

But the forums aren't where TA make their money, are they ;-)

Lucky its a free app ;-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,502 posts
150 reviews
9. Re: New iPad app is buggy

>>>But the forums aren't where TA make their money, are they ;-)

But the forums are the nectar that bring all the bees here. I don't think people get up and say, let me book a hotel and go to Trip Advisor. They come here to read reviews and check out the forums and then book tickets which is where TA makes money (plus they need those eyeballs for the CPC and CPA monetization)

In most Engg organizations, Only a priority 1 where the site or app crashes will stop a release from going out. A good QA manager will just swallow his lumps and release a buggy product due to Mgmt Pressure.

Case in point -- The TA mobile apps

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,502 posts
150 reviews
10. Re: New iPad app is buggy

The IPAD App is still buggy

All they did was add a few more photos during startup and must have shown it to a VP who must have said -- Wow Cool. Great.

It is almost a year. Forum threads show old info. Links still do not show up inside a thread. The main menu disappears when one tries to reply to a post.

I have sent in a support email as well but clearly a year later NOTHING has changed.

I think they need to change their IPAD developers and QA team.