We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

We have a holiday in Spain booked in July and have paid in full. Yesterday I though I would recheck the arrangements but the owners villa and refilled is offline? I have no way to contact the owner as the links through inbox messaging do not work and there are no contact details on the receipts. All I get are automated email acknowledgements from trip advisor but I am now worried that this is a scam ....!

8 replies to this topic
Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

This needs to go on the support forum.

England, United...
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

Hello

Rather than ask in the Luton Forum, I suggest you post your question in the Support Forum..

Here’s a link to it...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i…

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

You might like to talk to your credit card company to get your money back.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

booked in July and have paid in full. - please say you paid by credit card.

Otherwise I think it is bye bye cash.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

Did you choose this villa because the advertised price was low for the accommodation, facilities and location offered, but they wanted paying by bank transfer or debit card because they "didn't have credit card facilities"?

Yes? Then sorry, almost certainly a scam.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

Just for info... people often state that you only get protection when you pay by credit card but this is NOT correct (in the UK) A debit card also gives you a similar level of protection (although there are some differences relating to the amounts of money you can claim for and also the situation for consequential losses arising from having to change your plans).

The essential difference is that the protection offered by a credit card is a legal right under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 whereas a debit card gives you protection via a voluntary code that all the major credit card providers have signed up to (known as the Chargeback scheme).

Payment by bank transfer gives you no protection.

Edited: 9:14 am, June 08, 2018
Level Contributor
302 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
7. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

Hi busymumBedfordshire,

We moved your topic to the Support Forum where fellow members may have an answer for you. Please note that forum moderators are not able to assist with support questions. For help from staff rather than other members (for example, for assistance with points), contact our Support Team via the Help Center:

Members:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Best regards,

Isabela

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?

Thanks everyone I have now managed to contact the villa owner and all is well 👍 I got this reply finally from trip adviser : The rental you booked is not available to view on our website at the moment due to changes in the vacation rental legislation in the Comunidad Valenciana region. We're currently checking all our rentals in the region to ensure they comply with these new laws. so that is why the owner said until her tourism license comes through, they won’t advertise her villa.

Edited: 7:53 am, June 15, 2018
Reply to: Unable to contact villa owner what can we do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted