We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet facilities

Colorado Springs...
1 post
Save Topic
Toilet facilities

I believe that your services could be enhanced by allowing customers to rate toilet facilities in terms of cleanliness by location. This is an important issue especially for women. Business owners would start to value the sanitary conditions of their facilities. Besides the ratings, allow patrons to take pictures. Who would want to use a "pitty potty"? Why not choose the next restaurant with a better rating while traveling?

I would dare to say that there is a positive correlation between kitchen cleanliness and bathroom cleanliness. This would be a way to improve the health of our country but without more government intervention. This would be another way to draw more people to your site.

Daryl Kuiper

darylkuiper@gmail.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilet facilities

>>>I would dare to say that there is a positive correlation between kitchen cleanliness and bathroom cleanliness<<<

Whilst I agree that pleasantly serviced bathrooms would be welcome by all, it's along similar lines to rating food and hotels, and service, and just about everything else - it's subjective. Quick question - if it 'looks' clean, does that mean its actually cleaned properly?

I've seen the above argument many times over, the equal can be said of those where it has zero correlation. Why? Because in many premises, they (kitchen and bathroom) are cleaned by different staff, and so there is the possibility of a disparity.

McDonalds was the one who started this philosophy. And I can say I've seen many a dreadful bathrooms in McDonalds. Would my assumption necessarily be that their kitchens are equally as dirty? Hardly. It's more often the case that you've caught the bathroom at a busy time, or just before it needs to be serviced. It speaks more about your fellow patrons toilet behavior, rather than the premises approach.

In the hospitality industry, the concern isn't the general standard and presentation of the bathrooms, the concern is whether the premises has designated persons who only services the bathrooms, because the chances of cross contamination from bad practices is far more likely, than a dirty kitchen in the first place.

So I agree with your sentiments, but completely disagree with rating them.

As for health issues in your country, I believe there was a documentary made by Morgan Spurlock that may interest you.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,613 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilet facilities

Hi

I agree with most of what has been said above

There is nothing to stop you mentioning it in the text of the review

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,063 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilet facilities

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Daryl;

You have NOT submitted a private email to TA staff.

NEVER post your email address on the internet. I would STRONGLY suggest that you delete your own post immediately !

Posting your email address on the internet can dramatically increase the amount of spam you receive.

You can delete your own post by clicking on the "Report inappropriate content" button within the post your wish to delete, and then select "Remove my post" from the pull down menu.

Best Regards

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilet facilities

Here's my question. Why not just gave a general "cleanliness" caption like hotels, and comment from there? That way you're not just limited to one space of the restaurant, but if the loo just happens to be the trouble spot, you could mention it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,730 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilet facilities

If it is rather bad then say so in your review and add photos.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilet facilities

A general "cleanliness" category / button is a good idea for restaurants.

Daryl K, you can take photos of any toilet facilities for a restaurant you visit and include them with your review. If they are sparkling clean or yucky, let readers know!

Oakdale, California
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilet facilities

If the bathroom looks dirty it probably is. Flip up the toilet seat and see if the under side has been cleaned within the last 90 days! If not, take a photo and post it.

8. Re: Toilet facilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 04, 2015