We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Will TA ever address this issue, after all?! What next – ten years’ old threads bumped??

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

It's been discussed quite often, for sure. What makes me scratch my head is that it's not like anyone's looking for a change in policy. Threads are supposed to be closed after a year of inactivity (wouldn't mind if it was shorter than that), but they simply aren't closed. I don't know if it's something that needs to be done manually, or if they can get it done automatically. One would think that since there's a date stamp on each thread that one could program a fix whereby at midnight on the 366th day, the thread goes dark. I know it's not the biggest problem in the world, but it drives me nuts when I get sucked into responding to these relics before I realize just how old they are.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Hi exterior_corridors :)

Yeah I know it's an old issue, and I for one has raised it before.

My today's post was rather the lonely scream in the desert to remind how frustrating this is! - to see threads as ancient as two years and containing hopelessly outdated information being bumped for no good..

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

I think there must be a program run once a month (?) which closes threads based on the date of the last response. Perhaps this is another indication of TA's growing pains?

Much better than the Spanish language forum where threads are only closed/removed by moderators when there is a problem brought to their attention. :o(

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Perhaps the webmeisters could take some time off from playing with the avatar shapes and close a few threads that have aged more than a Glenfiddich scotch.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,135 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Small forum threads do not get closed in the same way, according to another thread I read long ago, when this topic was hotly discussed. I believe a staff person posted that.

3 years old: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g499117-i11414-Ale…

1-3 years: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154949-i2103-Whit…

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Mufti, could you remember perhaps if there was any mentioning of what was considered small?

The 2yo one bumped yesterday in Ukr forum had 9 replies, bumped by 10th.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,135 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Cora, I don't remember that being identified. I seem to remember "the smaller forums" or maybe "the slower forums." Very possibly the same thing. I also seem to remember something about it giving people a welcoming look which they wouldn't get if they went to a forum with the few threads all closed. The larger, busier forums would automatically keep a forum from looking "closed." Sorry I can't remember more specifically.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Thank you, anyways!

Still find that frustrating and misleading :-/

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

The automatic closure is designed to skip over forums which only have a small number of threads, such as the examples that Mufti posted. The number of responses to any particular thread is not taken into consideration.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NecroThreads of TWO Years Old!

Thanks CW.