We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Report Someone Spamming?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
How to Report Someone Spamming?

I can't find the link! Please make it easier to report violators.

This one needs to be dumped from TA: tripadvisor.com/members-forums/kiwipairahipa…

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Hello,

At the bottom right side of every posting is a link to click on which says "report inappropriate content". When you click on that there is a menu of options to choose from.

Just click on "Self Promotion/Advertising/Solicitation". That reports it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,632 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

That poster doesn't seem to have posted since June 2012???

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Yes they have, but the offending posts have just been removed. There were about 6 recent postings from this couple advertising themselves for a house sitting position on various American forums (I think that is what the OP was concerned about as Spam). I read them, and felt the same so clicked on "Report as Inappropriate". Within 15-20 minutes all their housesitting solicitation ones were gone. I guess other people had also reported them before me.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,632 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

That was quite fast then. Good for TA!

5. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:24 am, December 15, 2013
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Yes, very fast indeed. These people were clearly advertising themselves so glad all similar posts were removed.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Thank you for the responses. Yes I know about reporting the individual posts, but sometimes it takes forever for TA to get them removed. Also, it requires "us" going through to find each post and report them individually (which I did do). In the past, by the time someone here realizes what someone like that is doing, it can take a lot of time to rifle through to report each and every individual post.

TA really needs to have a better way of reporting such blatant abusers of the forums. I really feel they make things so much harder than it needs to be.

That person's posts, however, are gone and that was my end-goal. Thank you again for your responses and to those who did take the time to go in and report each of their posts (about 10 of them).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Hi TimeshareVon,

The best or preferred way of alerting TA Moderators to SPAM is via the Help Center. They can look at the posting history of the member in question and decide whether or not to close the account. http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport Choose

* Forums, Private Messages & Traveler Articles, then

* Help using the forums

A text box will open where you can post a link to the member's profile & explain the problem. As you said above flagging individual posts is time consuming & may or may not delete the posts dependent upon multiple members reporting the posts.

There is also a link to the Help Center at the bottom of every page. From the help center page click on the 'submit a case' link and choose General Support. This takes you to the same page I linked to above.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Yes, when there are a bunch of threads being spammed, or you think that not enough posters will report each inappropriate post, the method outlined in post #8 seems to work very well.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Report Someone Spamming?

Thank you for the advice in #8.

I find navigating TA when I need to find something specific (such as that) to be a nightmare!

In the past when I've found and used that suggested page, I have clicked on the option that resulted in this advice "Members can report inappropriate content directly below the forum post. Feel free to go to the forum post you want to report and click on the "Report inappropriate content" link. You can also visit this page for more information." And of course, that isn't very thorough or timely.

Edited: 12:23 pm, December 17, 2013