We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halal food for muslim traveller

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Halal food for muslim traveller

As a muslim we have problem in finding halal food in most countries. It would be great if TA could have an identification for restaurant serving halal foods. We are ever willing to identify for you such restaurant to be updated in your site.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,220 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halal food for muslim traveller

Before I respond to your suggestion, I want to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

"Halal" already exists as a cuisine type for restaurants listed on TripAdvisor. If you know of a restaurant which is already listed on TA, which should have halal as one of its cuisines but does not, just click the "Update restaurant details" link just below the address. A form will pop up which will allow you to to suggest many changes and corrections, including removing or adding cuisine types for that restaurant. Halal is one of the options which is supported.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,220 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halal food for muslim traveller

On further examination, I see that -- so far as I can tell - although you can identify halal as a type of cuisine for a restaurant, and that will show on the restaurant listing, there is no way to create a list of all the halal restaurants for a destination. I know that my own city has several restaurants listed as halal on TripAdvisor, but I can't get halal as a filtering option on the main restaurant page. There are also many other types of cuisine that can be specified at the listing level (for example, brew pubs and gastropubs), but which can't be filtered for.

My guess is that, like halal, these are newer options that were only recently introduced by TA, and are not yet fully supported by the website. I hope there are already plans to integrate these new cuisines into the filtering options, since the current situation is not that helpful.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halal food for muslim traveller

I think adding Halal as an option is a very good idea.

MatNoq61,it is worth asking on the local Destination forums for information regarding halal resturants,the local folk are usually far more informative and up to date than resturant listings.

Mombasa, Coast...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Halal food for muslim traveller

Its a very sensitive issue and the IATA should tacle the issue with sensitivity because the industry is lacking a big portions of muslim travelers who find it difficult to travel having no idea about the destinations culture and eating habit.

Here in Kenya, we have a government body and other private bodies who work on ensuring that, certain things are halal by giving them certificates.

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halal food for muslim traveller

In Spain there is a 'Halal Institute' ('Instituto Halal') that validates all kind of halal companies and products. shame that the page is only in Spanish. =(

http://www.institutohalal.com/?s=N%C2%BA+Licencia

6. Re: Halal food for muslim traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 07, 2014