We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ask a Question Button

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Ask a Question Button

On main forums pages with the list of topics the Ask a Question button is both above and below the list of topics.

On an open thread it seems to be only positioned below the reply box and out of the way. It would be better to have it above and below the posts on an open thread too.

This change has come with the recent redesign of the forums.

The thread I posted on this forum about a 6 month closure, outlining new poster after new poster resurrecting an old thread, made me think that they just don't scroll/swipe way down below the reply box. I think two positions are better anyway, but I also think it would help reduce those old threads being resurrected.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ask a Question Button

It's near-invisibilty on subsequent pages probably contributes to the resuscitation of old threads that's occurring at present.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ask a Question Button

To paraphrase a poster in another thread:

I don't see where to post a question on the xxxx forum. I was reading questions & replies under xxxxx, but do not see where to type my questions.

It seems he can't find the ask a question button.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,487 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ask a Question Button

Mufti:

It's a reasonable suggestion I agree, but I do wonder though how many people actually do 'Ask a Question' directly from an open thread? I have read the question on the Support forum but the OP just states she couldn't find where to post a question,

Edited: 4:18 am, June 22, 2013
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ask a Question Button

I raised a similar point back in April tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k63488…

And several users used the thread to 'Ask a Question' !

It is not saying anything good about the sites usability when several people can find a thread entitled 'Ask a Question' on the wrong forum but can't find the right forum or an Orange button !

Some will argue that these are isolated incidents and the current system is 'good enough' with 99.9% of users succeeding in making posts correctly and submitting reviews. However history is littered with companies that thought they were 'good enough' and were too complacent to improve.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ask a Question Button

That's a good point, bellagio. The poster also says "I was reading questions and replies." AFAIK, an open thread is the only place to be able to do this.

The thing that brought the topic of this thread to mind was the many examples on the 6 month closure thread of new poster after new poster asking a new question on an ancient thread. I think there must be over 100 examples now on that thread. The lack of a visible Question button within an open thread was a tentative connection I made to try to explain this recent surge in resurrected posts.

I think it might be possible for a new poster to be reading threads as part of their research and then decide from there to post their own question (certainly wish those 100 had done that) but not be able to find the button under the reply box.

I just can't recall if the Ask a Question was positioned above the OP by the page numbers before the latest rollout was made. Maybe someone can recall.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ask a Question Button

Having just acquired a new Android tablet I have started to play around a bit,

On the app open thread view there is a Reply button on every post but NO 'Ask a question' BUTTON AT ALL (even well hidden) you have to follow the very inconspicuous link to the thread list to find the 'New topic' button.

A user who has gotten into the app following a Google search is more likely to Reply to the thread than go hunting for a New topic button.

App users also don't have the benefit of Top Questions as well as inconsistent terminology from main site

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ask a Question Button

Well, that's just peachy.

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Ask a Question Button

has anyone been to jamaica in early november ?

cocerned about the weather..... MANY THANKS ! kazy67

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ask a Question Button

@kazy you will probably get a more relevant reply if you post your question in the Jamaca forum. Try here tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147309-i69-Jama… as it is you have posted in the middle of a discussion on ways to improve TA.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ask a Question Button

Kazy ~

Type the words Jamaica + Forums in the search field above the green navigation bar.

Or hover your mouse over "More" in the green nav bar and choose "Travel Forums" which will tke you to the directory of all forums.

Get answers to your questions