We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off subject replies.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
862 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Off subject replies.

Hi, I guess this is not going to make me popular amongst long term forum posters who are essentially doing a good job responding to travellers questions. I use Tripadvisor not only for the fact that it is the 'bible' in Vietnam (where I live) but mainly because it is not a bun fight in the forums like alternative sites where I am terrified to ask a question because a group of frequent posters will jump on your ignorance of a country you have never visited and then tear you to pieces. With T.A I have never noticed this to be the case, but recently (maybe with the fall down of another site) I have noticed it happening more often. Whilst silly banter among frequent posters on their personal lives is lovely for them, it should not be in someone else's thread when they are asking a genuine travel question.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but could you not give them a place to do that seperately and in your drop down of objections have something more suited to banal off topic gossip?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off subject replies.

Maybe you've seen the "off topic chatter" forum? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, since I haven't really seen much in the way of off-topic posts in the forums I frequent. If there is blatant violation of guidelines regarding content, you can "report inappropriate content" by clicking the little blue link. That being said, you have to allow some wiggle room for speaking freely, given that a brief aside or friendly banter can and does occur frequently in discussions. Frankly, I like that most forum discussions are conversational in nature, so I'd be hesitant to ask TA to really crack down on every somewhat off-topic reply.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off subject replies.

Erm, guilty Kirby. But only very, very occasionally, and the same goes for most Vietnam forum regulars.

If you keep a close watch on the forum as a whole over a suitably long period you will see that "banal off-topic gossip" accounts for a miniscule proportion of in-depth replies by people who put a heck of a lot of time into helping travellers with their trips, and have done so for many years.

As for a separate forum for off-topic chatter, there already is one, although you have to made of stern stuff if you want to join in some of the threads:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_top…

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off subject replies.

Hi

I follow several forums and on all of them you can now and again see some off subject posts from time to time but as long as it does not get out of hand I have no issue with it as it adds to the personality and outward friendliness of the forum

I also see some off topic threads which normally get closed down fairly quickly and this can sometimes lead to other threads asking why!!!!!!!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off subject replies.

Some forums are terrible for it - why people want to share their life stories on a public forum is beyond me, but they do.

If the posts/threads are off topic or nothing to do with travel then just report them as such via the link underneath or via the Help Center/Contact Us/General Support/Forums/Help Using The Forums.....

Also refer them to the OTC - Off Topic Chatter forum if they want to twirl their bloomers around their head haha!!

CB

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,487 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off subject replies.

The regulars on the OTC are always happy to welcome new inmates!!!!

ati
cordoba, spain
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off subject replies.

Yes. A very worrying subject. Especially when forumers tell the rest of the world about their jobs, private lives, or call other posters by their names.

=(

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off subject replies.

I agree with the OP, on a site like TA it is very off putting when posters add nothing to a thread and constantly take it off topic, they seem to think that forums are their own personal chat room - it is one of the good things about the new format you can see who the last poster is so know where the thread will be heading. I belong to a forum that does not mind wandering away from the initial post, goes round the houses a bit and then sometimes returns to the OP - all members know there is no such thing as off topic, however when on a forum like TA it is a different ballgame because posters are asking specific questions and this should be respected. 8)

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

8. Re: Off subject replies.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions