We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

your recent gift to me of a tag

Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
your recent gift to me of a tag

I got an email from TripAdvisor offering a gift for having contributed 36 reviews. There was an image of a small piece of luggage with a TripAdvisor tag on it. For a moment I thought the gift was the bag, but nope, it's the tag so I can help advertise the website. I take a lot of time writing my reviews and am insulted by such a cheap stunt. The VP who passed on this email should be given some basic feedback on how such tactics resonates among those who are making the site work. Can't wait to see what I may get when I hit 50 reviews - a bumper sticker to advertise TA? And it's ironic how a website that makes it reputation on reviewing other businesses, provides so little opportunity to respond to their own operation. I looked all over their site for a wimple way to provide feedback to those in charge. Hah! Worst than Microsoft.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums. Before I respond to your comments, I'd like to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member just like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

When you wrote your reviews, did you do them because you expected to receive some kind of a reward? Or did you write them to help fellow members to plan their trips, just as you use the reviews of other TA members to decide where to go, dine, and stay? If the former, then you were definitely destined for disappointment; no website based on unsolicited user contributions, no matter how large, can pay the users anything near the value of the content.

However, lucky you--since you are in the United States, you can look forward to possibly receiving a good-quality canvas tote bag (with TA logo, I believe) some time after you reach 50 reviews.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,786 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

Personally, I do not expect anything at all from TA for the contributions I make

I do get a lot in return for free when researching trips

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

Okay, I figure you've got a couple of options:

1. Complain about it (which you've done, perhaps not in the best place, but not a bad one either). On this topic, did you try the "Help Center" link located at the bottom of each screen? There is a "Contact Link" on this page. Not 100% it will have what you want(ed), but I do know it's there. Similarly, you consider/try replying to the e-mail?

2. Don't do anything, you won't get sent a tag, problem solved.

3. If you're totally insulted by this, stop writing reviews. Be aware, that there is always the chance this offer will be repeated and you might be insulted again.

Also, I feel obligated to point out that there have been threads in this (and other?) forums which take essentially the opposite tack that you do. People have posted saying, "Why should I write reviews, what's in it for me?" Now I think it might be a stretch to say everyone starting these threads "wanted something" (I believe some may have had a more philosophical bent to them); but I also seen to remember that some have had a "flavor" or implication that they thought getting something from TA, even a token, would be appropriate.

hlo

Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

I find your response as insulting as the bogus gift offer. Your implication is my response is purely due to my expectations for a gift in payment of my reviews. You missed the point entirely. I didn't raise the issue of gifting for reviews, TA did and I found it sleazy to pretend to offer a gift that in fact was no such thing. Now you promise a gift bag after 50 reviews so what's up with that?

The whole point is people who review do so largely out of altruism and a concern for improving travel services and they create a "product" that TA profits from. At a minimum then TA should be cautious to be respectful to them.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

I just got the same email. It doesn't even have a full picture of a bag., just the tag. And the text says they are sending you a luggage tag, nothing more. Personally, if someone has an out of proportion reaction to their own misunderstanding, i would have to question the opinions in their reviews.

Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

I am amazed that no one appears to see any merit in my complaints.

Do feel free to question the opinions in my reviews as I consider the reasons for the ad hominem responses to my comments. I'm a retired professor and it's been a long time since I worried about someone grading my homework:)

Peace to you all.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

Hello and welcome to the forums. As you can see by our post count, those posting on this thread spend a great deal of time on the forums.

>> The VP who passed on this email should be given some basic feedback on how such tactics resonates among those who are making the site work.<<

I don't expect any type of reward when I submit reviews, but I don't get insulted if TA offers some type of gift and most certainly do not consider it "sleazy" or a "cheap stunt"!

Perhaps consider your options 1,2 and 3 as stated in Post #3.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

I wasn;t insulted by the offer of a gift tag, I already have some. I was tickled to think they thought enough of me to offer me something. I am only trying to give people different perspectives when they travel. A handout, I do not need.

My mama always said if you do something for someone because you expect to be thanked or rewarded in some way, you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

9. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, January 03, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,293 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: your recent gift to me of a tag

I think the point might be that TA is sending you a free tag that is not a gift at all. It is a way for TA to use the traveller to advertise its own brand. A gift would be a nice luggage tag without the TA brand all over it. An anology is the licence plate frame that names the car dealership we bought the car from, which we then drive all over the place, wittingly or unwittingly, advertising the dealership. My plates are frame free.

Get answers to your questions