We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Registration of new users

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,979 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Registration of new users

Hi

At present you can sign up as a user with any e_mail address and TA do not verify it.

So for posts on forums it would appear that you can set up as many accounts as you want.

I know this as I have just set myself up a new account using a fictitious e_mail address - I will now ask TA delete the account

I would strongly recommend that when a person joins TA that TA send a confirmation e_mail to the users asking them to click on a link to make their account live

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,983 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Registration of new users

Hi;

TA requires email confirmation for hotel reviews…why not for membership ?

Jeez…that’s just too logical ! ;-)

Great idea FFM !

Best Regards

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Registration of new users

Hi flipflop_man,

Thanks for contributing this suggestion. When we originally opened the TripAdvisor site, the registration process required the new user to send an email response in order to activate the account (some people call this a "double opt-in" registration process). It created some user access issues, and our registration process was eventually changed to the system we currently use -- no verification required to post on the forums or submit Inside articles, and an automatic email verification request for submission of new reviews).

It's been such a long time (almost 4 years) since we made the change, so I honestly can't state whether it was effective in reducing the numbers of users participating under multiple identities.

I'll forward the suggestion to our administrators -- we are currently looking at a number of changes to the forums software and protocols, and I think it wouldn't hurt to consider the idea of reinstatement of the registration verification email.

Best regards,

TA_Jane

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Registration of new users

flip flop - very good idea.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Registration of new users

I`m sure this is one idea that no one could find fault in. It seems so obvious really.

Without any checks on e-mail addresses it makes it even easier for trolls and posters with a hidden agenda or vendetta to have a field day.

I suppose we`ve all forgotten that we weren`t asked to verify the e-mail. How did you suddenly get this inspiration ?

Congrats

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,979 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Registration of new users

Hi again

I have thought about this for a week or so as quite often trolls on the OTC the get chopped out just come pop back up with a new ID within minutes so today when I saw this happen again I went through the registration process myself to see if it did require the e_mail address to be authenticated.

TA_Jane

What were the user access issues you mention that the "double opt-in" created as by not doing it you have left the door wide open for trolls and people to have multiple ID's?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Registration of new users

Hi TA Jane

I don't want to alarm you but I have recently submitted 2 reviews and on neither occasion was I sent a verification email.

OD

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Registration of new users

Hi FFM

I follow your argument and agree entirely. However, how is sending a confirmation email going to help? All that would happen is that the troll, or whoever, would get a confirmation to their other email address, which they would verify. TA would then be very happy.

If you want to block multiple IDs I would have thought that TA would have to focus on IP addresses.

OD

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,979 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Registration of new users

OD

It does not have to be a your e_mail address.

When I registered yesterday I just made one up and bingo I had a new ID which I have asked TA to delete

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Registration of new users

FFM

Then the system is worse than I thought! I agree that sending a verification in these circumstances would prevent the fraud.

However, going back to my point, even if TA do require a verification email, these days it is possible to create lots of genuine email addresses using whichever service provider you happen to be with. I have 2 email adresses but I think I am allowed 10. I could register with each of them and each would be verified and so I would have 10 TA IDs.

OD

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,979 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Registration of new users

OD

I agree about the multiply e_mail addresses but the way the present system is set up trolls have an unlimited number they can use

A lot of damage can be done to resort in "live from" threads, etc