We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
32 reviews
New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Travel reviews website TripAdvisor has launched a new badge notifying users that they may want to do more research about the hotel or resort they're looking at. "TripAdvisor has been made aware of recent media reports or events concerning this property which may not be reflected in reviews found on this listing," the notification says. "Accordingly, you may wish to perform additional research for information about this property when making your travel plans." The company promised to launch the badge after a report revealed that it deleted several users' reviews warning others of rape and assault that allegedly happened over the years in some of the highest-rated resorts on the website. For the full article go here https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tripadvisor-l…

A spokesperson said the badges will decorate establishments' pages for up to three months. "However, if the issues persist [they] may extend the duration of the badge." He also clarified that the "badges are intended to be informative, not punitive."

51 replies to this topic
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,783 posts
75 reviews
41. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

They could certainly try, but I don't know how they'd prevail. The wording (the one I read) was quite vague while being factually correct.

Kailua
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
42. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Overall, I have been very pleased with Trip Advisor; however, our failure to post warnings about reported dangers is somewhat disturbing. I suggest you consider requesting reviewers of areas/properties to report on scams, dangers, that they have encountered while touring the world. Certainly the vast majority of my travel experiences have been very positive, but I could have prevented some negative situations had others at Trip Advisor reported persistent problems in some locations.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,882 posts
6 reviews
43. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

"I suggest you consider requesting reviewers of areas/properties to report on scams, dangers, that they have encountered while touring the world."

============

That's already there. It's called the Forums. Some even have top questions about common rip offs/scams.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,554 posts
65 reviews
44. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

There's something about this red badge thing that I can't put my finger on. But it doesn't line up with anything that I can think of.

Follow the money? I don't seen TA receiving any hotel or hotel guest's money in this matter. No connection there as far as I can see.

Jurisdiction? How do TA have jurisdiction? There may be some in the area of which reviews get published, that is definitely up to TA. But TA do not have an investigative team that does journalistic type investigative work to "get to the bottom" of things. They could apply the badge with some degree of TA proven accuracy on a TA site in that case. Are they relying on official published reports from police or hotel press releases? Or on personal stories that splash onto the front page of media outlets?

Social responsibility? Yes, this makes sense on a social media website for shared information about travel. Is the badge a warning or an advisory? Letting people know that they might want to do more research through many research platforms could not be seen as defamatory, could it? Only FYI, being socially responsible.

As far as publishing reviews, this seems the tricky part. How do Trip Advisor fit into that picture? Reviews would have to be for experiences where there could be 'no doubt' that a sexual assault had taken place - maybe even plain assault or any other nasty thing that might happen anywhere - not 'no reasonable doubt', but very clearly no doubt. So publishing such reviews would mean they are accurate and true. I guess this is where I see a disconnect. How can TA know for sure that a review reflects an actual experience in a hotel to give themselves the green light to publish the story? Only publicity of the assault at an official level could make it a credible event. If that is the basis for reviews about sexual assault being published, I can live with that. But there seem to be no way of knowing if it is the basis.

My 2 cents.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,149 posts
66 reviews
45. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Really well summed up Mufti. Express my questions and concerns succinctly. A big +1

Edited: 5:47 am, November 14, 2017
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
84 reviews
46. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Yes, post 44 covers it for me as well. Given how much thought has gone into some other features of this site, I can't help but wonder if this is indeed a well-conceived plan or a knee-jerk "slap together" in order to appease the social media lemmings. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,758 posts
476 reviews
47. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Mufit's 2 cents are worth a lot more than that. Mufti has made excellent points about these warnings. I realise that TA felt they had to do something, and that they will be criticised no matter what from some quarters, but I'm not sure this is the answer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,554 posts
65 reviews
48. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Aw shucks. That’s a first, a trifecta! Is there a badge? 😎

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
13 reviews
49. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Here is your badge :)

https://rlv.zcache.co.nz/my_2_cents_6_cm_rou…

3 posts
1 review
50. Re: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts

Well, despite numerous persons and news outlets reporting a double sexual assault carried out by an armed employee of Rui hotel in Montego Bay, Tripadvisor have NOT posted the guests reports and sadly have also not honoured their pledge to post a warning badge to warn off future hotel guests. This is not the first reported incident as this hotel and unless something is done it will not be the last.

Tripadvisor please warn customers as per your pledge, which will motivate Rui (and other hotels to be aware!) and sort out their staff from taking advantage of vulnerable female guests on their last night, when staff know they have to fly home the next day and will not be in a position to report the incident fully!

See you tube report attached or simply Google for various press reports

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHikZKtSxc

Reply to: New Tripadvisor Warning Badge for hotels/resorts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted