We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New TripAdvisor app and site experience

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
2 reviews
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Topic
New TripAdvisor app and site experience

Hi all,

You may have noticed that we’ve been testing a new experience for our desktop site over the past few weeks. The good news is that we have now rolled it out completely this week, along with a new experience for our apps (iOS and Android).

Over the past few years, we’ve evolved from a hotel reviews site to a place where travelers can compare the lowest hotel prices and plan every aspect of their trip, including hotels, attractions, restaurants, vacation rentals, flights and more – anywhere in the world. Our new design better reflects the travel planning and price comparison resource that we are today, and signals to our users that we’ve changed. With our new experience, our community of travelers can more easily plan every aspect of their trip using TripAdvisor, including finding the lowest price for the right hotel, as well as get the best value on flights, vacation rentals, restaurants and other things to do in-destination.

We’re excited about this new look for our site and app (which also includes an updated shade of green), and we hope that our members will appreciate the new more streamlined design, allowing folks to more quickly find the information they need to plan and book their best trips. We also know that change often takes a little while to get used to, and some features have moved around on the page (for example, the links to change our site language and currency are now at the bottom of pages, and Saved Trips is now an icon on the masthead).

We’re happy to announce that Private Message notification/alerts are back, as well as the link to view Messages in the drop-down menu in the masthead.

We’ll be continuing to make improvements to the new site look in the upcoming weeks, to make it even better.

Best,

TA_Jeanine

Community Team

175 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,406 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

Thanks Jeanine,

I understand that the new teal green will be for everything soon. That will be better than old olive green on some things and the new teal on others. Consistency is best. The new colour is starting to grow on me.

My "experience" of Tripadvisor will remain unchanged as I don't book stuff on here because I prefer to book direct on an airlines own website and only book accommodation on a few booking sites I know and use regularly. Unfortunately I can't book Singapore Vacation rentals on a Tripadvisor page because the ones listed are illegal under Singapores Housing Laws (it's illegal to rent out a private apartment for stays under 6 months). I will continue reading reviews of Singapore hotels to plan for my regular visits there, and I will continue to review when time permits.

My extensive forum participation will continue and I believe the forums are a wonderful part of Tripadvisor.

Newer members may want to use the site for a complete planning and booking platform and may enjoy the more streamlined design and integrated approach. I hope that approach also includes increased support for those experiencing issues and problems with their bookings made via TripAdvisor's booking partners.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

Yes, we noticed.

No, it isn't good news, nothing is quicker, I don't appreciate it, and it makes travel planning more difficult. But hey! At least every time I try a hotel search, I can be bombarded by useless prices for dates I don't care about for an irrelevant number of travelers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

Sorry but I'm not a fan on the new teal. It's brightness makes it harder to read the links written in that colour. Maybe take it down a couple of tones? On a mobile device even with a blue light filter it's still too bright, especially at night.

However I do like not having to scroll downwards for the forums anymore.

The 'desktop version' button at the bottom still doesn't work (it acts like 'home') and the home button is only on certain screens eg. not on forum pages which means you have to press the 'back' button before you can access the 'home' one.

(This is on Android Btw)

Edited: 6:12 pm, June 01, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

I am in the same position, as Avanti.

I also think that a useful point is made in Reply #1: I hope that TA is planning on much greater support for booking issues, going forward.

Thanks for the update,

Hunt

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

I'm glad TA is excited. So, when will we get the ability to search hotels without dates back? Will the app start opening to the home screen instead of the last destination page I visited? Will there be any effort to curtail 1-line useless reviews? Will new listings go live any faster? Will owners experience fewer hitches when trying to update their own listing? I just figured I'd ask since we have staff's ear for the moment.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

EC,

Probably a very good time to ask.

None better, than the present.

Hunt, still trying to get the lay of the land

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

I don't like having to hit "more" on every review on a page. What a waste of effort. Way to make it less useful.

California
Level Contributor
273 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

I "ran" into or rather the new format found me some time ago. I hated it. Hard to do useful stuff. Guess TA wants to be a booking site. Awful to see this is now permanent.

It's not what I want from TA and not what I have used it for, for years. Extensively. Lots of stupid rankings like "Just for you." Nope not what I want to see.

Forced searching by date is STUPID and ANNOYING. Allow search without dates like AirBnb. But making these stupid changes I will decrease my usage of TA as it's usefulness is in decline.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

e_c, I think we all know the answers to those questions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,132 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New TripAdvisor app and site experience

David,

I felt, as you did, but here is a trick, that a "power-user" just shared with me.

Go to the Review page. Click on the title of the first, or Review of your choice.

That expands ALL expandable Reviews!

Now, I will quit complaining about the More button.

TA did a good thing, even if not 100% intuitive.

The above works on TA Website, via a browser.

Try it, and good luck,

Hunt

Reply to: New TripAdvisor app and site experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted