We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WiFi on United

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Topic
WiFi on United

Does anyone know how the Wifi installation on United is going? United does not seem to be saying much about it.

According to the United website, if you click on "Flight Ammenities," the 747-400 says that "WiFi will be available on this aircraft begining in 2013." SeatGru does not show this.

Instead, SeatGru shows WifI on the 2 class 777's (Ex Continental), however the UA website makes no mention of this.

Has anyone experienced the Global WiFi, what type of equipment were you on, and how did it work?

PS - I'm not talking about the GoGo WiFi on the ps flights.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WiFi on United

There's a thread on Flyertalk indicating the Wifi is installed and currently working on *one* 747-400.

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

Another useful site is the unofficial "United Airlines Fleet Website" put together by Flyertalkers. That now has fields for wifi, and is listing one 747 as "maybe" (perhaps they haven't got round to updating that). There's also a 3-class 777 listed a "maybe".

https:/…home

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WiFi on United

SeatGuru is way behind on many aspects.

Several aircraft now have the satellite based WiFi. They were trialing it on a couple of the A320's. It was due to start installation in December and continue through this year. I've not seen it on any aircraft to date. It won't be coming to the 787 any time soon. Boeing hasn't figured out how to install it so that it doesn't damage the rest of the plane.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WiFi on United

The fleet website I use is put together by a kid someplace...

https:/…mainline-fleet-tracking

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: WiFi on United

I wonder if they are waiting for to be installed on more aircraft before they liven it up, of if it will be livened up on a per aircraft basis as it is installed.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WiFi on United

It will be live as installed. The contract is in place and the freebee sites are known.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: WiFi on United

Do we know when the installation will begin, and what equipment will be first? I am planning an international trip in May, and would love to try and get a plane with it.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: WiFi on United

Anyone?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WiFi on United

International, as overseas?

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: WiFi on United

Yes. Japan.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WiFi on United

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you read through the links in post #1?