We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

Hi,

I am flying to NY in December on the above mentioned plane I have prebooked economy plus seats 7A and 7B on seat guru it doesn't state that these seat's armrest do not move however, I have noticed with other exit row seats it is common for the armrests to be fixed.

I was wondering if anybody has any information about these seats and the armrests as if the are fixed I may consider changing seats.

Thank you in advance :0)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

On the United domestic 757 these are fixed armrest, and so I'd assume they are on the CO international bird.

Personally, I'd stick with what you've got (maybe change to B and C). It's an exit row with nobody in front of you, nobody to disturb you (or you to disturb) when getting up for a stroll or comfort break (you stand up, walk ahead, turn right and you're in the aisle). When I'm flying long haul economy I'd always try to get those seats type of seats.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

Thanks for your response I was thinking about heading 2/3 rows back as I believe the exit row seats are not as wide as other seats is this correct?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,474 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

"I believe the exit row seats are not as wide as other seats is this correct?"

Exit row seats normally have the tray table stowed in the armrest rather than attached to the seat in front meaning the seat width is reduced by 1 or 2 inches which is the price you pay for the extra legroom.

It's not an issue for me as I'd always go for the extra legroom/reduced seat width but this might not apply to everybody.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,737 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

<<I believe the exit row seats are not as wide as other seats is this correct?>>

What is the logic for such a statement? What does seat width have to do with egress points? Seats may not recline forward of exit rows (possible blocking of egress path), I have seen exit rows with two seats rather than the normal narrow body three seat width, but I have never seen nor hear of any seat within a given compartment class being narrower simply because it was part of an exit row.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

I have never seen nor hear of any seat within a given compartment class being narrower simply because it was part of an exit row.

The exit row seats are often narrower because the tray tables are in the arm rests, thus making the seats not as wide. I have seen this on many, many planes.

OP - these seats do have the tray tables in the arm rests and are not quite as wide as the other seats. I would choose row 21 any day over row 7 on this plane if you have this option. Row 7 is across from the jump seats and is by the doors and lavs.

Edited: 12:32 pm, November 02, 2012
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

Thank you for you response I have already prebooked & paid for row 7 but I'm sure I can go into my reservation & change seats again, thanks once again :0)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

There's nothing wrong with row 7; I just prefer row 21.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
102 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

If it is an exit row there is a 99% chance that the armrests are fixed. They are fixed there because the trays are in them. These seats have slightly less room than regular seats due to the size of the armrests.

9. Re: United Airlines Boeing 757-200 ex continental (flat bed)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions