We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

thinking about buying one...there is 5 more inches of legroom. I am not tall but am flying from Newark nonstop to New Delhi, India...

Your input welcome.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

E+ is always worth it to me.

the 5" turns into 5' after 10 hours or so.

hard to say if it's worth it for u....only u know that.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,452 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

On that flight I'd say absolutely YES.

For flight's of that length I fly San Francisco to Shanghai and Hong Kong. I get E+ for free through frequent flyer status, but once I ended up in the regular economy seats and for (in that case 13.5 hours) it was awful.

Those extra few inches are a godsend.

PS - I'm not tall either.

Edited: 2:26 am, October 14, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,452 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

onthefly,

One other tip, whether you choose E+ or not.

That 777 has a 3-3-3 configuration in economy (and E+). Choose an aisle seat in the center three set of seats. If you're traveling solo, that's the best chance of NOT being disturbed by a neighboring pax wanting to get out (s/he can escape the other side, and if your neighbors are a couple you're fine as they'll get out for each other). If you're traveling as a couple get the center seats as well, as you have a guarantee that you won't be disturbed by a stranger in that respect.

Edited: 2:38 am, October 14, 2012
Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

Thanks...our flights are getting full and we're thinking this is a good investment to be a little forward and I'm all for extra legroom...

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

When asking "is it worth the cost", whilst thats a subjective opinion, perhaps its worth saying what the cost is ? :-)

ISTR its around $100 and I'd pay it in a heartbeat for a flight of that duration but only you know what $100 is worth to you (and maybe my recollection is wrong and is ay $250)

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

Be sure to check that your E+ seats don't get changed on you as you approach departure, and check again when you get your boarding pass. The United system has been moving people around for the last few months. It doesn't happen to everyone, and they may have gotten it fixed with a recent system update, but it is something to watch out for.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

I'm not tall, either -- if fact, I'm "short" -- but after flying regular economy & then flying E+ long haul (IAD to EZE), I'm a total convert to E+! Don't think I could go back to ordinary E for anything over 2 hours.

Remember, flights are actually cheaper than ever compared to the inflation of other costs (even with higher fuel prices) and one way they kept the cost down was increasing the # of passengers each flight could carry -- by making the seats & pitch smaller. E+ is well worth the extra $$, IMO.

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

It's $159 for an aisle or window seat...The complimentary economy section is entirely sold out...I am going to buy it...It is definitely going to be good for me, I think...all I get is more legroom but that will be very useful...I also get closer to the front of the plane, near business first, and away from the restrooms on this 777-200 of United's....

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

Yes, I could swear I already got moved but I think it's an equipment change or part of their reconfiguring the jets from Continental as well...they've changed my confirmation code,etc...It's a confusing time for them...I will watch for that...My travel companion is going to wait to see if these e+ seats are released 24 hours ahead of time and then try to grab one...There aren't that many aisle seats left in E+ now and I know I will be happier and healthier with a greater pitch distance.

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: economy plus seat on United 777 worth the cost?

great tip...I haven't flown internationally in years but I do remember it was good to take an aisle in the middle section...in those days it was 2-5-2 which I actually preferred. Those armrests lift and you can lie down and sleep if the aisle doesn't sell out....Those were often reserved for premier frequent flier customers but released to the general public 24 hours ahead of flight time...I do not know whether e+ seats are similarly released...There is about to be one empty seat in the complimentary rear section-mine-but that's it on this outbound flight...It's pretty full...so I'm not taking any chances...a small price to pay for some wiggle room, cleaner air, a distance from the restroom bank, and closer to the front of the plane...There aren't any totally available middle sections in e+ either but that middle seat will be the very last seat taken on the plane so even if there's another body on the other aisle, it's possible on a less than sold-out flight that that middle seat will remain empty...keeping fingers crossed.