We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never buy any tickets from goibibo

gwalior
1 post
Save Topic
Never buy any tickets from goibibo

On 10th june2012, I booked & paid through my credit card Rs.17048/ to Goibibo for 11/6/12 g8-711 morning 6:15 flight for calcutta to see my father in law who was in the hospital on a ventilator,unfortunately i booked my wife & my tickets through goibibo which is a fraud company absolutely unethical,inhuman which after atleast an hour of my booking rang me to tell that the fare is gone up by Rs.44000/ for 2 tickets as compared to what i paid so either pay the difference or we will refund the money,due to which I had to take another flight to reach calcutta in the evening by than my wife's father passed away and she could not meet him for the last time in her life.

The company & its staff seems to have got their training at slaughter houses,you are a bunch of thief s,always willing to nail the common man without understanding the depth of situation,even when I was pleading with your staff Ajit who rang me to give this pleasant news that my tickets are cancelled & tried my level best reasoning with him but to no avail,I also requested him to put me to his senior but he refused,after that I must have made 5-6 calls to your company but received the same answer that someone will get back to you,that night no one responded . Eventually I had to buy the tickets at a very high price still could not reach in time.

I hope no one goes through such agony and pain during such times,and be wasting their time in getting tickets done rather than taking care of his wife. HOW CAN YOU ASK FOR INCREASED FARE ONCE YOU'VE ACCEPTED THE BOOKING & CHARGED IT ???YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT ACCEPTED MY BOOKINGS I COULD HAVE DONE IT THROUGH ANOTHER SITE THAN ONLY. ITS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER I WILL MAKE SURE NO BODY EVER GOES THROUGH IT AGAIN NEVER BUY ANY TICKETS THROUGH GOIBIBO.

GAUTAM KOTHARI

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

Why did you not simply buy direct from the relevant airline rather than a 3rd party website - did you do any research on them prior to purchasing the tickets or were you simply trying to save a small amount of money.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

"HOW CAN YOU ASK FOR INCREASED FARE ONCE YOU'VE ACCEPTED THE BOOKING & CHARGED IT ???YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT ACCEPTED MY BOOKINGS I COULD HAVE DONE IT THROUGH ANOTHER SITE THAN ONLY. "

That's not uncommon with 3rd party bookers as they don't necessarily have live access to prices. I expect it would happen even more often when you book last minute (as you did) since this is a time where prices are especially volatile. I wouldn't call it scam (assuming they refunded you the money you initially paid), it's just an unfortunate side-effect of introducing a middle man between yourself and the airline.

Next time, book straight from the airline and you are unlikely to have any problem. But it sucks that you had to find out about this under such difficult circumstances.

Edited: 10:53 am, June 14, 2012
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,346 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

Sorry for your loss. Your father in law that is not the flights.

I can't even pronounce the name of this company so I think I will avoid them and thei inhumane slaughterhous training practices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

This does happen with third parties, they need to go and effectively buy the flight after you reserve and they take a block on your card. The flight prices advertised will seldom, if ever, be live.

They then come back and confirm the price. I'm sorry about your father in law and your wife missing him. Book with the airline next time, or clearly read the terms and conditions. I would be very surprised if it did not say final price will be confirmed after reservation and payment authorised, at which point you can either proceed or cancel.

To be clear, you are basically paying someone to go and book the flight for you. It's a rare situation where they can do that cheaper than you can, and if they can they still need to make a profit from you, so the price gors back up.

it's usually the big reputable boys who can do a deal and even then it's very, very limited in most cases and not worth the hassle of working via a middle man.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

"That's not uncommon with 3rd party bookers as they don't necessarily have live access to prices."

Yes, but...

They should not take payment until they have confirmed the final price with the purchaser. Yes, they offer a refund but that can take weeks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

I completely agree. It shouldn't be hard to wait until price is confirmed by the airline to put the charge through though I don't know that any 3rd party booker actually does this (and it's no hard to guess why either). As mentioned, just another reason to book directly from the airline.

Edited: 2:38 pm, June 14, 2012
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

"I don't know that any 3rd party booker actually does this..."

Many (like Expedia, Travelocity, Opodo etc.) do have live access to the airline's booking systems and do only take payment when the price is confirmed with the airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

Yes I agree also, and I guess they don't because they secure funds from the poor unfortunate who has used them. Making it more difficult for them to cancel if they are concerned about refund timing.

And yes the big boys do it reputabley. Don't think this is one of them though, and personally I still use the airline direct. I've never seen a deal big enough to warrant the middle man.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

"Many (like Expedia, Travelocity, Opodo etc.) do have live access to the airline's booking systems"

Are you sure? The Vayama representative posting in here once explained that airlines have to pay for their prices to be accesible live to 3rd party bookers and that not all airlines do so. That's why you will sometimes book a fare that is no longer valid. If so, it would be an issue across the board. I have no idea if that's true though. Perhaps someone like GOBPI can verify it. Can't be bothered looking for the post but I'm guessing it's still in one of the (many) Vayama threads.

Edited: 2:52 pm, June 14, 2012
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Never buy any tickets from goibibo

"Are you sure?"

I am because of precisely what you say. I have often searched Kayak for example and been taken to Expedia or Opodo only to be told by that site, sorry that fare isn't available, here's the current one. Kayak isn't live but some of the larger sites are. They poll the airline site when you transfer from Kayak and give you the current fare. I have never proceeded to book with any of those three (and a few others) without getting an instant airline reservation code. They can only do that if they have direct access to the airline's reservation system.

Edited: 2:59 pm, June 14, 2012