We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

scotland
Level Contributor
180 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

I have just picked up my tickets for Thomas Cook holiday to Tenerife and discovered a letter included detailing the changes to their flight service including the removal of in flight entertainment due to a customer survey showing that most people prefer their own devices. I am horrified that I now have to face a 5 hour flight with no music and no film - I do not own a portable DVD player or games console. I feel really let down as this holiday is not cheap - if I had booked Ryanair or Easyjet then I would expect this level of service however as with all changes companies make - there is nothing I can do but accept....Did anyone actually take part in this survey?

London
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

A five hour flight without dvd or film would be bliss for me. Just take a good book with you.

Like all surveys you can get the answer you want depending on how the question is worded.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

Alternatives - read a book, magazine, newspaper, play travel games such as connect 4, monopoly etc, do crossword, word games, sudoku, talk to who you're going on holiday with or rent a PSP for £7 from TC!

It's just inflight entertainment they're going without not fuel!! No need to be horrified I think.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,353 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

Horrified, really? This is a sign that today's generation have become too dependant on TV if they can not entertain themselves for the duration of the flight without having to depend on Thos Cook providing them with entertainment.

As the letter suggests, TC are reacting to what the customer has said in a survey.

staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
456 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

the cynical part of me says it's a cost cutting exercise or if they have entertainment to rent then its a money spinner....next time fly on a proper airline not a human freight carrier...

London
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

Which 'proper' airline would you have in mind espritguy for the poster to fly from Scotland to Tenerife, that has inflight entertainment. I suspect the choice, if any, would be very limited.

scotland
Level Contributor
180 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

Ok guys clearly you all think it's acceptable to change services without telling your customers. Thomas Cook to my knowledge have not advertised this change anywhere but at the point when your tickets arrive - I am perfectly capable of reading a book but as a nervous passenger I prefer to watch a film - something which does influence the airline I choose. In the past year I have travelled with several companies, including TC who provided this service - I don't object to the charge for the head phones - indeed it was a bonus when flying BA to find they were included! As someone said I think this is just an exercise in charging extra yet again. As for choices from Glasgow to Tenerife - well it's few and far between and most are budget airlines where I would not expect to get in flight entertainment as the price would reflect the service. I don't intend saying anymore on the matter - I only wanted to vent after opening the tickets and it's old news now. Happy flying everyone

wirral
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

I agree with jmc. I suffer with travel sickness and am an anxious traveller and watching a film distracts me. Reading or playing games causes nausea, so I am stuck just getting more and more anxious on a 5 hr flight. I flew with TC in June and I received the same letter informing me of the stopping of in flight entertainment. I went and bought a portable dvd player (which still caused sickness during turbulence cos I couldnt keep it still!!) and when we got on plane they DID show films!!!! It seems it depoends upon plane and route as to when it is being withdrawn.

8. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 pm, September 19, 2010
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

A relative of mine is currently aircrew on TCA.The IFE has been withdrawn because the number of takers did not justify the expense of the availability.You would not believe how much TCA had to pay for the programme videos they showed (it was 5 figures) and the only income was from the headsets.End of story.They don't make exceptions for passengers with phobias as they can't afford to.If you must have IFE then take a 2 stage flight via Heathrow or Gatwick.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: withdrawal of In Flight entertainment by Thomas Cook

Eh - I flew 8 hours from Calgary to Manchester last weekend and while there WAS IFE - it wasn't that great compared to other airlines I have been on..It certainly didn't make the flight any easier or pleasanter for me.

Honestly if you have all these issues and conditions related to flying, perhaps you just shouldn't do it?

Get answers to your questions