We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help. KLM refund

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Topic
Help. KLM refund

On Saturday I booked a return flight on the KLM website, London to Amsterdam return. However on Monday I realised that this was a mistake and I could not make the trip, so I called KLM to ask if I could get a refund or change the date. They have said that my ticket is totally non refundable and non changeable. Does anybody know if it is possible to get some partial refund or change the dates ? or maybe I can make a claim against my travel insurance ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help. KLM refund

Hi,

The reason why you now can't travel will most likely be very germane to whether or not KLM will grant a refund- partial or whole- or allow a credit.. also your insurance will want to know why..

I suspect for reasons like death or immediate impending death of a family member or equivalent (with documentation) will give you a better chance than for reasons like "I have to work" or "I messed up the dates"... In the end, you are asking KLM for a discretionary waiver of the rules, so they'd right expect a good reason before consideration is given.

Is the reason something that is/was out of your control?

Travel Safe,

Edited: 7:54 pm, August 11, 2010
Flintshire,
Level Contributor
27 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help. KLM refund

You should be at least entitled to have the taxes refunded dependent on any charges the airline implement. There should be terms and conditions attached to the fare that you have booked and it should advise on the penalties this particular ticket is associated with.

If there was a genuine reason for you being unable to travel the airline may be able to assist but if you do go down the medical/death route then you may be asked to provided evidence to entitle you to a refund.

HTH

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help. KLM refund

When you make a reservation on the KLM website it usually offers you a (more expensive) option of having a flexible ticket in the event of changes. Presuming that you did not exercise this option, I think that you closed the door and locked it as far as any refund is concerned.

I doubt if your travel insurance will cough up either.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help. KLM refund

Non refundable means just that. Sorry but it's your mistake and you have zero chance of travel insurance giving you anything since you made the mistake. Normally airlines will have some lee way for 24 hours after the booking but you unfortunately left it until after this period.

Tax is only 12 GBP on this sector so yes you are entitled to this back but possibly KLM will charge you more than that in an admin fee to get it back.

I've done this before and it hurts but you will just have to put it down to experience and ditch the flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help. KLM refund

<<or maybe I can make a claim against my travel insurance ?>>

Unfortunately my psychic powers are not working today, so as you haven't said what the reason was, or what your insurance includes , its impossible to say.

Unless the reason actually was "made a mistake" and your travel insurance has a clause such as "If you make a mistake booking your ticket we'll be perfect happy to refund you." In that case you are home free.

6. Re: Help. KLM refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 09, 2011