We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA New Style Business Class Seats

Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
BA New Style Business Class Seats

I'm planning to fly out Heathrow - Chicago O'Hare then back SFO - Heathrow in January 09. Last time I flew BA Business class they had the old style seats with the fan style divider between seats which you could put down if you were travelling with someone. I've had a look at the pictures of the new style seats which BA seem to be using on the routes I'm planning on flying and I'm not sure which seats would be the best as I'm travelling with my husband. The seatguru site is suggesting that E & F would be the best seats for us as there is no divider between them. But I'm not sure how difficult it would be to get in an out of these seats. Under the old configuration I'd usually prefer A & B or J & K, but the pictures on BA's site make it look like there's almost a wall between them.

Any advice from anyone who has flown in the updated cabin would be greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

I think all the SFO services have 747s operating, all of which have NGCW (next generation Club World) in place. The flights to and from ORD: BA295 is a 747, BA299 a 777 and BA297 a 767.

The 777s have started the slow process of having NGCW installed, but it's going to be hit or miss as to whether you'd get one with the new seats in place, as the refurbishments started later than planned. The 767s will have the old style seats in place, but do have AVOD - there are no plans to change the J cabin to NGCW on the 767s.

The new cabin does have a privacy screen, made of very interesting glass called Lumisty. When you look at it straight on it's opaque, but when you look at it from an angle you can see colours and shadows. It's hard to explain, but it does work for privacy (should you wish to have it) but allows some light through if that's what you'd like.

EF seats are good for couples, but you'd still have to climb over the D or G seats to get to the aisle. I always sit in an aisle seat, and I've not seen pax struggle to get over the seat when I've got it flat - I don't think people have to pole vault to get from seat to aisle.

If neither of you are people who very much like those aisle seats, then EF would be acceptable, otherwise aim for AB or JK.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

hi,

assuming you're on a 747 and cannot get seats upstairs my choice would be 20A/B or 20J/K as both of you can get out to the aisle easily and only the aisle seat,B/J,has someone climbing over them.The privacy screen retracts so you are face to face with your husband if you wish.

Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

Many thanks to both of you for your help with this. It sounds like both options would work well for us, so I'll just see what's available when I make the booking.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

No probs,

As you may know you cannot preselect seats on BA unless you have status in BAEC or OW equivalent.So you may have to do OLCI at T-24hrs and hope there are seats meeting your needs.

H

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
253 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

SuanLum60 - which 747 upstairs eats would you recommend? We have preselected 63 A/B and 63 J/K for upcoming LHR/LA and LHR/IAD trips.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

Sussexcpl,

as my wife has mobility problems we only use main deck.If you visit;

www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php…

there is a wealth of info and a very active forum frequented by real experts.

H

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

The boffins at FlyerTalk quite like 64A / K for solo travellers, but I think they recommend 62 for couples.

I've been v happy with any seat on the UD, and rather like 60B / J even though some say it's noisy (not really, or at least not in my experience) or too bright (again, not my experience).

Since there are only 20 seats on the UD you'll find it a quiet cabin, and with only four seats across, access to the aisle shouldn't be a concern.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
253 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

Thanks both. Part of the problem is that we're spoilt for choice at the moment. Rows 60, 62, 63, 64 & most of the main deck still available on all four flights at the moment!

Murcia, Spain
Level Contributor
278 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

We (me and my partner) are doing exactly the same... in May/June 2009, buttercupkitty. BA295, LHR-ORD and BA284 SFO-LHR.

We'd be extremely interested to learn how you get on and what seats you choose.

This is our first time in BA CW - last time we went AA Business (miles upgrade). This time we're paying so determined to make the most of it!

It seems we have a 777 LHR-ORD (could be NNCW or NCW?) and 747 SFO-LHR (NNCW I think).

Any other advice would be welcome from other experienced BA CW travellers. I will definitely steer clear of Bassinet seats as the last thing we want is screaming kids near us!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA New Style Business Class Seats

Your flight from SFO to LHR will be on a 747 unless something exceptional happens. All of the 747s have been fitted with the new J cabin and AVOD, which is working well these days.

Your flight to ORD may or may not have a refurbished 777. From what I've read, the changes are moving more slowly than expected, so keep an eye on the info at the link below as it's updated on a fairly regular basis.

www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php…