We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Hello,

We are considering booking our first cruise in July, going to the Fjords in Norway with HAL. It will be on a new boat, the MS Koningsdam. We would like to book a Verandah Stateroom and are now figuring out what would be the best room for us.

Import for us is:

- Because it is our first cruise, we do not really know if we will have a lot motion sickness. Therefore we tend to book a room in the middle of the boat

- I am a light sleeper, so not too much noise is important

Not so important is:

- We do like to walk, so it is not a point if the room is 'further' from anything

- Size of the balcony. Well, we would like a nice size balcony, but it is something we are willing to compromise on. And, since we are going to Norway, the weather might not be that great.

We have found some VC category rooms on deck 6 which we like and that are within our budget. They are near the elevators, so there will maybe some noise from that, but I think these rooms might suit us best.

I would be greatful if others want to share their opions on this, or want to give their suggestions for rooms that may also be good for us.

Thanks in advance!

63 replies to this topic
Chatham-Kent, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
48 reviews
100 helpful votes
1. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

No one has yet sailed Koningsdam, and won't until April. So, all answers will be based on theory and deck plan reading, not experience.

For a first cruise, I'd rather see you lower down, to lessen motion. But, Beethoven (deck 4) is the lowest with verandahs, so I'm not sure it makes much difference, between 4 and 6. But: I like best the VB cabins on Beethoven for verandah size. Yet, they are more for and aft, rather than midship. HAL doesn't do midship cabins with BIG verandahs.

It seems to me that Koningsdam verandahs are mostly smaller than the previous "standard" HAL verandah of 6 feet deep, 9 feet wide. Those VC verandahs look either 4 feet, or 4.5 feet deep to me.

On many cruise lines, you won't find any (new) ships less than a suite with a verandah over 50 sq feet, so perhaps I'm expecting too much.

However.

Those VB cabins on deck 4 look to me to be 9 feet wide and 10 feet deep = 90 square feet.

TIME WILL TELL.

That is just my guess, but I know HAL deck plans pretty well.

Deck 6 should be quiet.

Edited: 5:58 pm, January 03, 2016
Chatham-Kent, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
48 reviews
100 helpful votes
2. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Oops - forgot to add - and while some of the forward deck 4 cabins will be over the World Stage, I'd expect 4028 to 4036 would be away from the noise. EXPECT.

Edited: 6:01 pm, January 03, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Thank you so much for your answers Fannish. This is really appreciated!

I do realize that nobody has sailed this ship yet :-)

I will have a look at deck 4 again.

I am really forward looking to this trip, but all is quite new to us :-)

Hengelo, Nederland
3 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Just came back from a 7-night cruise with the Koningsdam (our first cruise) to Norway (Flam-Stavanger-Kristiansand-Oslo). In one word: AMAZING!!!!! We had a Verandah room with obstructed views (fourth floor/deck, you have a view of the lifeboats, not a problem for us, since it was a free upgrade from an interior room, anyhow we really enjoyed the views from our room and from our balcony. Sea-sickness: no worries, there was a little movement, but barely noticeable. We were in room 4105 (middle of the ship), really, really nearby the elevators.....no worries there, isolation is amazing and just a couple of stairs down to the main decks ;-)!!!! Balcony was big enough for two. Deck six looks awesome, free views as far as I know.......

Tip: visit BB King's Blues Club....really, really good!!!! Also the shows in the big theater (from the American actors/singers are really really good). Iris Kroes (dutch winner of The Voice), we didn;t like too much......Hamburgers: amazing, Pizza's: AMAZING ;-).....sorry, still on a high from this 7 nights onboad MS Koningsdam. More questions? Just ask!

Hengelo, Nederland
3 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

It was our first cruise also last week on the Koningsdam.....just DO IT!!! You will enjoy for sure!!!! The food and atmosphere on the ship is really, really cool......

Edited: 3:23 pm, May 29, 2016
Macomb, Michigan
3 posts
6. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

I am also going on this trip July 3. Still waiting on room assignment since I took a chance with upgrade. What shore excursions did you do? I signed up for the Flaam train...unfortunately had to book through HAL because sold out online through all other avenues.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
44 helpful votes
7. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Hello:

We sail July 17 out of Amsterdam on the Koningsdam. At present we have an inside cabin. We are considering paying for an Obstructed View Cabin on Deck 4. Could you please tell us what part of your view is obstructed: Can't see up? Can't see down? View blocked in either direction? Any response would be helpful.

Thank You.

Chatham-Kent, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
48 reviews
100 helpful votes
8. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Please take a look at this link - which is NOT of Koningsdam, but of previous ship Eurodam.

halfacts.com/wp-content/…IMGP0722.jpg

The obstruction is always life boats, and this is considered "fully obstructed". As you can see from the photo, you still get light, a chance to check weather, and a sliver of view.

The place to see actual cabin photos of Koningsdam is halfacts.com It would be super if you could submit photos after your cruise. The ship is too new for the website to have many photos yet - cruisers have to offer them!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
44 helpful votes
9. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Thank you very much for the response.

Givat Ela
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
35 helpful votes
10. Re: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question

Hi

I will travel the next week in the same ship, can you tell me about the excursion during the trip .

Eduardo

Reply to: HAL MS Koningsdam statesroom question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted