We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

Hi all you cruisers.

Have been reading articles lately that all ships over 96,000 ton will be banned from Venice from the 1st November, 2014. Does anyone know about this or can deny or confirm this is going to happen. Busy researching cruises at the present moment, and Venice is my disembarkation port.

Cheers Bob.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,290 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

I can't help, but I do see that posters on CC are just as confused about this: boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

from what I understand they will be limiting the number of ships to 5 (I think ) per day that are larger than their new rules to go through the canal

Only time will tell

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

That's interesting news. Thank you. Royal Caribbean especially are very keen on Venice for a start and finish port.It's not an environmental issue but it is related and that is the pressure on the facilities at Venice Marco Polo Airport from large cruise ships' passengers arriving and departing.Although that airport has been considerably updated quite recently (and is much improved) it is still besieged especially when many of the over 3,000 passengers from a large RC or Celebrity ship are flying home. Some stagger their arrivals presumably because they elect to spend some days in Venice before their cruise disembarks.

In post #2 for "canal" read "lagoon".

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

Plenty on this topic here :

telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/10432424/Conf…

euronews.com/2013/…

theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/06/venice-ban…

smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/giant-cruise-s…

And I threw that last one just for Bob, being an Aussie ;)

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

Thanks guys for the info. It appears that you may still be able to enter Venice by large vessel but not the Grand Canal.

Cheers Bob.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

Perish the thought of a cruise ship attempting to enter the Grand Canal! One of the RC behemoths wouldn't even fit.And the captain would attract even more opprobrium than Captain Schettino of the late Costa Concordia.

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

We just came back from a cruise that sailed out of Venice last month. Thank God we did it now. The sail out of Venice is one of the most beautiful sail aways I have ever experienced. The capt did say that to enter and Venice they have to empty out all the pools because of the weight limit. We saw at least 8 ships in port when we were leaving.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

I agree about the Sailaway from Venice. It has to be one of the most beautiful in the world.

9. Re: Question about large ships banned from Venice """""""""

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions