We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
79 reviews
Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

We are going on the Scenic Jewel in early May from Amsterdam to Budapest. I am wondering how dressy people get for dinner. I understand that there are 2 nights where it is a bit more formal but would like some help is possible for the other nights. I keep getting mixed messages from friends who have travelled on other companies. I am happy to take more dressy clothes but as we are travelling for another 4 weeks after that, we are trying not to take unnecessary clothes.Thanks in anticipation of your help

49 replies to this topic
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Dress pants and dress shirt, real shoes for men. Throwing in a blue blazer would be nice. Europeans dress more nicely than those from the US as a matter of course so you'll get even better use of these items during the rest of your time in Europe. Tucking in a few ties would be good too.

One jersey type fabric black cocktail dress and one pair of (probably) black heels with some different kinds of 'bling' would take you quite far. Then how about one pair of dressy pants and a couple of tops that can be dressed up or down. After all you have to take something to wear, why not pack the dress pant and shirt and leave home the jeans and tee shirt? All river cruise companies ask for country club casual attire. The next post will say that is not necessary and it is true that you won't be asked to leave the dining room but it is just nice for other guests and maybe for you too. Does Scenic have a laundry onboard? I'm used to having one or just letting them do if for a pretty small cost but that is on uniworld.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

I will just tell you our experience

Unlike CCC ...who is referring to me as the next poster

We saw a few blazers for the welcome night & captains farewell night & a few at the concert in Vienna

We did not see any slinky blk dresses but feel free to wear one if you like

There is no wrong answer, people came to dinner in the same clothes as they toured in

Some came in shorts but most did change to casual slacks or skirts for the ladies & a nice top

Scenic does have laundry service I did send out a pr of DH slacks for 6.50 E & they did offer a bag deal in Vienna I think it was 13 E for 1 KG

Take clothes that are easy to wash & do not wrinkle

If you would like to view the daily itinerary we had just let me know & I can send you a link to ours

Enjoy

Lyn

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Hi Lyn, You made me laugh. Actually that's a line that we use all the time on the Cape Cod board usually as part of our answer to the question: should we go to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. There's no 'one size fits all' answer to that either.

By the way I'm talking about that slinky black fabric that you can ball up and use as a pillow and then put on and wear the next night. You know.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
4. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Hi, I find a crease resistant classic cut dress will either be great for a normal dinner, or with jewellry and a scarf can also be dressed up for a more formal occassion, (teamed with flats for casual and heels for formal) I hope you have a safe and wonderful time.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Sounds perfect June.

Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Thanks for your input. The sports jacket and dress pants are packed. Pants and nice tops for me. Pass on the slinky black dress, normally means having to suck it all in, but will take a dress. The rest of the time after the cruise will be B & Bs around Ireland so then the jeans will come out.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
32 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

We're sure glad we read these posts. We plan 6 weeks touring, much of it light hiking/touring and we were going to FEDEX one bag of dress clothes to Regensburg for our Danube trip and then FedEx the bag back to Honolulu. I think we can bring what we need in two roller back packs and dress club casual for dinner. If not, we will have a small suitcase but at least we won't be wheeling a 50 pound mega suitcase around Europe and up narrow stairways at pensions/gausthauses! Phew! Love Trip Advisor.

Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

We went on our scenic cruise in May and it was absolutely fantastic. The dress during the day was casual, jeans, pants, casual tops. At night smart casual, pants and nice tops or dresses. There were 2 nights were most people dressed in more dressy pants and tops or dresses, most men wore a jacket . We posted our more dressy clothes back from Regensburg which worked well. We were warned to post from Germany on the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise if we wanted to see our clothes again. We took the clothes we wanted to send home to the post office in Regensburg and purchased a postal box, they were waiting for us when we got home.

1 post
1 review
9. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

Has anyone gone in the fall on a European tour? We are thinking of October. suggestions....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
83 reviews
10. Re: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise

I've just read some of the comments about dress codes & it was great to see the feed back. Next year in June we are doing the Scenic 15 day Jewels cruise in Europe.I know there is one night where you go to a concert & a medieval banquet where you have to walk on cobblestones. At the information night they warned us of this. If anyone can let me know what sort of footwear they wore i.e. heels or no heels. Also if they found it difficult regarding that. Plus did you dress really fancy for those nights.

Edited: 1:14 pm, September 09, 2014
Reply to: Dress code for Dinner on Scenic River cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted