We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louis Olympia cruise Ship

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Louis Olympia cruise Ship

I am planning a 3 day cruise on Louis Olympia in July 2013 Would like to get some feedback on the services on the ship from someone who recently was on it. I read all the negative reviews and I am very skeptical right now. I would like to enjoy my experience. Would appreciate any input on this ASAP before I book it. I am very eager to hear from you. Thank you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

Speaking of food. How was it? I am not sure what a Greek diet consists of. I am hoping that it includes a lot if seafood. Did people get dressed up for meals? Also how does one pack during april. I am trying to pack light but not sure what do bring? Would it be jeans and or shorts and one dressy outfit?

New England
Level Contributor
34 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

The food was quite good both at the restaurant and the smaller one near the pool deck. I normally hate fruits and vegetables, but Greek, Turkish and Egyptian versions are delicious. I also love tzatziki (a greek yogurt, cucumber and deal spread). Again, for what you're paying it's not like going to one of the best retaurants every breakfast, lunch and dinner, but it is definitely good. They do offer some specials in the main restaurant that typically cost more. I had one (filet with shrimp) that was lovely.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

My husband and I were on this cruise ship recently and it was a positive experience. Yes, it is an older ship, but well maintained, upholstery and carpeting fresh. Not glitzy like the mega-ships. It was fine for the Jewels of the Aegean cruise. Louis Cruises are "Port-intensive". The food was good, but not gourmet. Dinner in the restaurant is 4 courses, with a good number of choices. Regarding attire, it is casual in the daytime and people don't get very dressed for dinner. Regarding shore excursions: we took 2: Ephesus and the Terrace Houses on Kusadasi and The Palace of Knossos on Crete, as they were a distance from the port and we wanted to get back to the ship timely. At Patmos and Rhodes, the ship docks a few minutes walk from town, so you can read about them ahead of time and tour them on your own.

The ship's staff was pleasant and efficient in disembarking people at a port. Someone posted a question re gratuities: you are billed 8 Euros per person, per day, but can adjust that if you wish. An interesting aspect of the Louis Cruise is there are people from all over the world, we had some nice dinner conversations.

We did not go with a group. I booked through Homeric Tours, a New York co. that arranged our flights, all transfers, hotels and the cruise. A nice feature of Louis is you can leave the ship in Santorini and stay there for several days (we stayed 3 nights and could have stayed longer). Our itinerary was: 3 nights in Athens, then board the Olympia, then got off in Santorini (otherwise you only have a few hours there). 3 Nights in Santorini, then flew via Athens to Istanbul for a 3 night stay there, before heading home to New York.

Back home now, tired but happy. Hope this is helpful to people. Don't have unrealistic expectations for Louis cruises (it's not Princess) and you will be fine.

Conway Lake
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

My daughter (20) and I just got back from a trip to Greece. We did 3 days in Athens and then boarded the Louis Olympia for a 4 day cruise to Mykonos, Kusadasi (Turkey), Patmos, Rhodes, Crete and Santorini. We used the boat mostly for transportation and sleeping. It worked great for that and I thought it was a good value for the money. Here are a few details from our experience:

1. The food- not great just basic and OK, plenty of it. The Seven Seas dining room was loud, chaotic and a lot of the other diners did not speak English. Our favorite was tea on the Lido deck where we could get a tray and have it on deck. We ate on board as little as possible. We were happy to pay extra to eat at the restaurants on the islands.

2. The cabin- small but efficient. Plenty of hot water and shower pressure. Spotless! The cabin staff was excellent. Always smiling, willing to find answers to any question. Cheerful and helpful. Thanks Neva! We were in room 3070, nice big window, close enough to steps and elevator but not too noisy. Closet space and drawers worked for us. There was an OK hairdryer in one of the drawers.

3. The shore excursions- We did not take any of the organized excursions. There was a taxi stand and information stand with good town maps and a person to answer our questions in every port when we arrived. We did it much cheaper, easier and at our own pace by ourselves. For instance ancient Ephesus: the shore excursion was 59 euros each x 2 of us= 118 euros total. We walked right out, got a taxi for 60 E round trip. He drove us there, waited at the end for 1 1/2 hours while we saw the sight and then drove us back to the market. Don't remember how much the ticket was but maybe 8 E each? We downloaded the Rick Steves audio tour and did it on our own. A total of 80 E maybe? Ate a lunch of pork kebobs, veggies and rice with fresh squeezed pomegranate juice in the market in Kusadasi and skipped the cruise boat food again. Win-win for us.

4. Ports- very little time in each port except a full day in Rhodes. Patmos and Santorini was debarked by tender boats and the organized shore excursion people got off first. We waited a long time. We used every minute off the boat but was not able to fit everything we wanted to in. We did taxi to Oia on Santorini for dinner and the view but we were rushed.

Would I do the Louis Olympia again? Probably not but it was a great overview in a short time and that is what we wanted for our first time. Next time I want to spend more time in Mykonos (beautiful but very expensive) and Santorini. 4 hours was not enough. We used Frommer's Greece guide and Rick Steves to plan our island adventures on our own and did great. Happy to check back and answer questions if there are any.

Conway Lake
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

We booked our cruise on the Louis Olympia by ourselves on the internet. We were the minority, most of the people on board book in large groups with a tour guide, many of them not speaking English. It was hard to get information ahead of time , but we took a leap of faith and it turned out great. We used Frommer's and Rick Steves guide books to plan Athens and the islands. We got excellent, up to date information with both.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
76. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

My husband and I are traveling with Insight Tours and will be doing the four day Greek island cruise near the end of May. We are supposedly getting the best level of room, does anybody know if there are balconies? We would appreciate any further information travelers have. This forum has been very helpful so far.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

We were on the Olympia in September. It is an older ship. No, there are no balconies. I found it to be well maintained, but it's not the same as "American style" mid-level cruise ships. Yes, I think the posts here are informative.

New England
Level Contributor
34 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

I've been on Louis cruises twice and have been very happy with them. No, they aren't the luxury liners that have flashy advertisements, but I found everything about the cruise professional and positive, even though it was very inexpensive both times.

Montreal
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
79. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

Good morning,

Planning on taking the Olympia cruise ship on the 4 night/5 day cruise around the Greek islands. I was told that they do have balcony suites. As well, I'm travelling with my 2 children ages 7 and 6. Does the boat have a nice outdoor pool for them to play in? Is it overly crowded?

Any details you can provide are appreciated.

Thank you

Mary

New England
Level Contributor
34 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Louis Olympia cruise Ship

There were no balconies on the two cruises I went on with Louis, but they've had some ship changes recently (though I was last on the 4 day cruise in August). There are two pools, fairly small, one for children and one for adults on the bar deck.