We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to room on a cruise ship?

Parsippany, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to room on a cruise ship?

Hello, Since, I have not really cruised before, I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what the best part of a cruise ship would be to room in. I wasn't sure if I should select a room in the front, back or sides of the ship. I would like to purchase a room with an ocean view as I would like to see some views and cannot afford the balcony option.

Thank you for your help.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

Hi,

Firstly, be aware that an ocean view room will most likely have a very small porthole type window, not ideal for looking out of, especially if it is views you require.

Also, dont forget that you mainly will be sailing at night and therefore you wont see anything anyway.

Which part of the ship is best ? Well, some people say mid-ships, personally I have no preference.

I choose a cabin based on price and also making sure that I have cabins above and below and to each side, thus mitigating any noise risk.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

We prefer mid ships on the lower decks in case the seas are bumpy

If you suffer from motion sickness steer clear of the forward cabins

It all depends on the ship of course what type of windows they have in the Ocean view cabins some have porthole & some have large windows

On Oceania's new ship they have floor to ceiling windows

Check the photos on the cruise lines websites they do give you some idea of the window sizes in the photos

Edited: 2:01 pm, December 04, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

I prefer an outside, midships on a deck 8 or 9 as like lyn, I can suffer from motion sickness.

On Princess ships, the ouside windows are a good size - around 3 ft wide. Often you can get a cheaper deal on an "obstructed view" which may simply mean a cable somewhere in front of the window or it could be a lifeboat obscuring most of the view.

The larger ships such as those in the Princess line tend to have the Atrium on Deck 5 with some cabins forward - people tell me they like the position and they are generally quiet. On Deck 6 in this line - some shops and venues and restaurants /dining area - no cabins and on Deck 7, the Promenade deck with again more shops and venues.

I always look at the deck plan to see what's above and below the cabin and then avoid booking it if I think the noise may keep me awake at night. I also like to get a few cabins away from where the elevators are as people tend to congregate there sometimes.

On Princess lines, if you book a specific cabin you get it ... if you book a "guaranteed" cabin at a certain grade of cabin, you can be put into any cabin of that grade or be upgraded .. but the upgrade may be forward or aft or in somecases may be a Quad share cabin which I don't like because of the layout when made up as a twin share (the head of the bed is under the window). You can generally save around $200 pp by going for the "guaranteed" cabin, but when position in terms of motion of the ocean is more important as it is with me, I'd rather choose my own cabin.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,930 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

Everyone will have their own personal preferences. We have cruised in inside staterooms on upper and lower decks, balconies on higher decks both forward and middhips. In fact, I would say that we have experience most areas of the ship!

Our preference, after not really caring, is now for a stateroom that is not too far from the stairs or lift, and just above one of the decks with bars and restaurants.

However, that is based on our latest cruise on Celebrity Silhouette, which had very effective sound insulation! On othe rships, we may not want to be quite so close tot he lifts if the noise is a problem!

I guess our opinion is that the 'best' area will vary form person to person and from ship to ship!

Edited: 2:02 pm, December 05, 2012
Adelaide
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

We have just booked last minute on the Dawn Princess for our first ever cruise and had to take what was available for 4 of us. Have ended up with cabin P319 which I see is the lowest cabin deck and forward...gawd..I am shocking for sea sickness, but doing it for the family! I am looking forward to the holiday though. I had someone advice me that 'Vicks' in the belly button is good to keep seasickness at bay...not sure I am convinced on that one though!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

GOTTHEBUG

There are meds you can buy or the patch to help with seasickness

You could try ginger capsules or ginger candy try green apples also

We were in the cabin behind the family cabin up front

When it got a bit bumpy I just went to the middle of the ship near reception and sat there for a bit

wishing you Calm seas

Adelaide
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

Thankyou lht28,

I do take ginger now if I am boating, as the over the counter meds make me quite drowsy..hadn't heard about green apples, will definitely give that ago.

Pasadena, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

I have tried suite, balcony and ocean view. No inside cabins yet as I have found great deals on "rooms with a view" if you look for them. Clearly if motion is your big concern midship, lower decks are where you want to head as pointed out by others, although with the stabilisers these days, there is not a lot of motion anyway. The worst I have found is at night when the captain needs to make up time and by then, you are usually fast asleep.

Ocean views generally have a nice size window. The exception probably being the lowest deck which generally has a porthole. I tried this once and still not bad as we could see out. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, get a balcony.

The last cruise we were on had an obstructed view on the Grand Princess I was looking at the top of the life raft but could easly see things on the horizon. The crew walking on top of the boats from time to time was frustrating when dressing.

Generally speaking, I am only in the stateroom to sleep but I do like the natural light. So I find I now look for the best deals on Oceanview midship, lower to mid decks. However, as mentioned by others, it is all personal preference. Enjoy trying different options and see what works for you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

Goththebug, there's different over the counter meds you can try.

Some of our friends swear by Kwells. Others recommended Phenergan which is an anti-histamine designed to make you drowsy so that you "sleep it off".

Having tried a range of alternaive therapies, the best thing for me to do is spend 15 mins on the open deck upstairs with the wind in my face, then head straight down to the Atrium. I avoid all dairy and fatty foods and eat only dry toast of toast with a little jam - no butter... and minimum amount of milk in tea and more or less keep to that until I'm in calmer waters.

I've not tried the jab from the Drs, but again that is supposed to make you drowsy to sleep.

chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to room on a cruise ship?

The rule is middle middle. The most stable part of the ship is middle level and a middle location cabin on that deck. If the ship rocks in bad weather the higher the deck you are on the worse the rocking, hence the optimum location rule. The lower you are, the more stable the position. Also POSH, 'port out starboard home'for the views.