We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean cruise?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
126 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Caribbean cruise?

I'm thinking about a Caribbean cruise. please help with an area and a cruise line. I've just done a western med cruise on Adventure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) which on the whole I loved so thought i'd go further next time. thanks in advance

Sarah

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean cruise?

We have been on two Caribbean Cruises, Carnival, which was a Eastern Caribbean, and R.C. which was a Western Caribbean, and loved them both.

So flip a coin, have to tell you we are not real hard people to please. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean cruise?

Hi, Sarah. Glad you enjoyed the west Med by cruise ship, specifically Royal Caribbean. Since you mention "going further", do you mind sharing where you're from? Some lines have "regional pricing" (see the sticky at the top of the main page). So, I'm not just being nosy - your country affects price.

Royal Caribbean seems to still have different prices on SOME cruises for UK residents. But then they appears to allow cruisers in the UK to book online at US pricing for other ships/destinations. And I don't want to mention U.S. resident pricing on any cruise if that price isn't available to you.

I've cruised west, east, and south Caribbean, and east and south are my favourites.

With only one exception I can think of, south Caribbean cruises are either longer than 7 nights if they depart from Florida, or else if 7 nights, leave from one of the islands, often Puerto Rico.

I have a strong preference for Florida departures, so I've taken 10 day cruises when I wanted to cruise all the way south to South America.

How long a cruise do you have in mind?

Would you like to be able to spend time in Florida before/after your cruise? Or would you rather be on one of the Caribbean islands?

Some people claim, "All Carbbean islands are the same." Nothing could be further from the truth IMO. Let us know what interests you:

eco-tours, like rainforest, and caves

snorkeling

islands with non-English heritage, ie., Spanish, French or Dutch

history and archeology

shopping for brand name clothing and jewellery at discount prices

clothing optional beaches

hiking

horseback riding

water sports - sailing, parasailing, jet skis

quaint towns with cafes

I'm sure I could come up with a bunch of other things to pick from, but those are a start.

What kind of cabin are you looking for - inside - outside - balcony?

Sounds like Royal Caribbean was a good fit for cabin/food.. Did you have time to take advantage of things in-line skating, mini-golf, ice rink, rock climbing wall? Are you looking for those same amenities in the Caribbean?

Some of the new Royal Caribbean ships have so MANY amenities, "the ship is the destination". Does that intrigue you? Or, when aboard ship, do you just picture yourself lounging by the pool with a book?

Other cruise lines don't have quite as fast a pace as Royal Caribbean. Before I restrict recommendations to that line, I want to make sure you're not looking for something different this time. OTOH, if you've found a perfect fit with RCCL, then I don't want to confuse you my mentioning other options.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
126 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean cruise?

Thanks for replies.

We're 2 single 30s girls from the UK. We liked the RCL cruise (only a week as it was a taster). We particularly liked the nightlife on board and the restaurant food!

At each port we did an excursion so we didn't spend much time using ship's facilities & seeing what to do. We like finding out about the places we visit but would be up for water sports or coffee drinking.

We could have a night or two either end in Florida but don't know if we could be on a ship for more than 10 days.

Our Adventure cabin was inside - it was our first cruise and we didn't think we'd be in the cabin much.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean cruise?

Celebrity new ship silhouette is sailing from new York to the Caribbean, they are offering some good deals at the moment, my wife and I have just booked 12 night Eastern caribbean in November with balcony £999 each, via ebookers this also included $100 spend on board, plus if you register with a site called topcashback, they will pay you cash for booking through them, we earned £189 for just booking.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caribbean cruise?

I am by no means the most experienced cruiser on these forums, but share a little with the original poster in that we are from the UK and have cruised the Med previously.

January 2011 we flew to Miami, had an overnight there and then joined NCL Dawn for a 2 -legged journey, 9 days round the Southern Caribbean and 5 round the Eastern ( I may be incorrect with the Southern / Eastern bit sorry )..... it was 9 days, back to Miami, 5 days back to Miami.

Whilst typing this I note that the Dawn doesnt appear to be doing that next year though.

Back on topic, it was the best ever trip !

Do it !

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caribbean cruise?

We have cruised the Caribbean twice, first the east and then the west. This year we are going on P&O Azura to the southern Caribbean which includes some of the islands in the eastern area again, but we loved them all so much that we don't mind at all. It is a 14 night cruise but I think you'd love it and after you check in your luggage at your UK airport, you won't see it again until its delivered to your cabin, likewise in reverse on the return journey, magic.

Nelson, New Zealand
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caribbean cruise?

Hi. My partner and I are from New Zealand and want to cruise through the Caribbean but we are so confused as to which area to do. We love to be busy and are not really looking for too much of the relaxing island thing as we live near the beautiful pacific islands but have done them to death. We are in our forties and both really fit. We have cruised with Princess cruises through the Med and loved it, because it was all go every day and there was so much on the ship to do as well. Can any one help us with the right cruise for us. Also of when a great time to go would be. Was thinking of May?. Not to keen on rough water, so is this a good time?. Cheers.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caribbean cruise?

Carolyn

Caribbean cruises are not all go go

I would do the Southern Caribbean the islands are closer together so you get a different one everyday

Check ones leaving from San Juan PR

I would go Dec to March

In May your choices are limited most ships have gone to Europe or the west coast by then

enjoy

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caribbean cruise?

I would second a southern Caribbean cruise as noted above - the islands are close together and you usually are at a different island each day. Also - most of these islands are more about adventure tours or the like and less about pretty beaches and relaxing as they are a collection of volcanic islands and the beaches are quite different from the islands further north (Antigua, St. Maarten, etc.) The southern routes usually include Grenada, St. Lucia, Dominica and more - those 3 are all mountainous - great hikes, great waterfalls, river tubing, sulpher springs, etc - lots more about outdoors and adventure than beaches. The routes usually also include Barbados, which can be great for either beach activities or history and culture (or both) along with a fe of the islands further north in the chain (St. Maarten is a perennial Caribbean stop and St. Thomas) Every island is very different in character and activities and there is always lots to choose from. Some people do claim every island is the same - these are usually the same people who either only get off the ship and visit the port area or get off the ship and go tot he same beach every time - each island has so much more!

Cruises from Puerto Rico are usually 7 days with 1 sea day. Cruises from Florida are usually 10 days to 2 weeks and with a few more sea days. Personally - I like longer cruises - so Florida departures are for me! Also both Puerto Rico's airport and cruise port can be chaotic on sailing days - florida is much easier to manage!

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess all do great itineraries - depends on what you want from your ship. Noting you want more activites - I would highly recommend Royal Caribbean - lots to do on board, good nightlife and good itineraries. NCL usually does pretty good also and has no formal dress nights.

Enjoy!!

Nelson, New Zealand
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Caribbean cruise?

Wow, thanks for the great info, I will be searching for Southern Caribbean cruises. Wondering why alot of cruises pull out of the Caribbean after March though. Is May a bad time to go??. I thought because it is spring over in this side of the world, it would mean not too hot, not too cold, and not too many people, also no school holidays. We will look at spending a five days in New York and Some time in Florida. Does anyone have good advise on a good hotel in either or both places which is not to expensive but close to everything.