We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Tours European River Cruise

Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Tours European River Cruise

Hi all, We have booked a Scenic Tours European River cruise for Dec-Jan this year. We would be interested in any feedback from anyone who has previousy done this cruise. Thanks.

591 replies to this topic
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

they actually have river cruises running in dec/jan?

what's the itinerary?

that can be a miserable time of the year.

second hand info on the summer cruises is that they are ok.

Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

It is the Christmas Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, 16 days. We are hoping for a white Christmas.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

well i hope it is for your sake too! those little german river towns (and the bigger cities) will be great around xmas. they know how to celebrate the season. day length will be short however and the scenery a little bare but it should be fun. hopefully the rain keeps away. the company has a good rep so am sure u will have a wonderful time.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

I only know people who have done summer cruises with Scenic - I personally am very interested in any feedback you get on the winter ones as that is my preference.

Re Scenic themselves - my coworkers who have travelled with them and many other "group" travel co's said Scenic outranked them all in regards to service and comfort etc. And when they compared their bus tours with their river cruises they found the cruises far more relaxing and less hectic (with sleep ins allowed!).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,234 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

Another second hand recc here..

friends did it in April and were very impressed..no pressure to pretend to be a cow..if you wished you could self explore..

they did say they would get a balcony next time.there are only a few rooms without a balcony I belive and they would ahve ejoyed the opportunity to sit alone and watch the river..

nsw
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

it will be interesting to know how it went for you. we have booked a river cruise for 2010 and all the media reports are all positive, so I am looking forward to it. It would be interesting to see if there are any laundry facilities and if none what are the costs. we have travelled with Scenic to Canada and they had no laundry facilities on that tour either. Maybe its just a Scenic thing that we don't get to wash our clothes. Having said that, they really do now how to run a tour.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

Lots of information re Scenic Cruises and all river cruises on Cruise Critic. We travelled with APT last year and sailed from Amsterdam to Rousse. Absolute magic. I suggest that you log onto the Cruise Critic Board and make sure you go to the River and Canal Message Board.

Sue

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

Lots of information re Scenic Cruises and all river cruises on Cruise Critic. We travelled with APT last year and sailed from Amsterdam to Rousse. Absolute magic. I suggest that you log onto the Cruise Critic Board and make sure you go to the River and Canal Message Board.

Sue

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,396 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

I have just been reading that forum Sue !!

Some very mixed reviews about the various canal/river cruises but based on some of the comments I have been reading it seems to be far more about unreasonable expectations more than actual quality or service.

Seems to be mostly people who are accustomed to cruising on the massive ocean liners who cannot adjust to life on a much smaller boat and much smaller crowd.

Or people who seem to think travel companies can control weather/river levels etc. Seems to me to be pretty logical that if the rivers level rises for unforseen reasons that buses will replace the boats.

I think as long as you are a flexible traveller with a mind for difference - the river/canal cruises sound lovely.

I am still very keen to do the winter ones.

gold coast
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic Tours European River Cruise

Hi, just completed a scenic cruise in June/July amsterdam-Budapest. Beautiful cruise, staff lovely, food and wine deliscious, shore excursions fantastic

BUT....we booked a Juniour Suite [more expensive] so expected the best and booked it 18 months before departure so Scenic had plenty of time to advise us of its hideous features. This cabin was at the back of the ship [over the engines] so we rattled, we shook, we creaked and vibrated for 15 nights. My husband never slept and I managed a little sleep with the aid of sleeping tablets. We could not enjoy our "teak deck" because the fumes and smells from the diesel made you want to vomit.and the heat on the back windows made the room like a sauna We have informed scenic of this terrible situation but so far no reply. do NOT book 336 or 337...'cabins from hell'.....should be a gymnasium. ask for middle to front of ship.....enjoy..........liz I suggest you travel APT or Avalon.

Reply to: Scenic Tours European River Cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted