We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

Toronto
5 posts
Save Topic
***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

our cruise was Jan 10-17 2009

We have cruised before and this has been the worst vacation ever and we have never felted threatened or been treated this way. You need to know that there were many times through out this week that we felt very insecure at times because of all the lack of knowledge and inexperienced staff, unable to communicate due to lack of English. The staftey drill was not enforced, If we ever had to get off this ship in an emergency it would be a disaster. Know one knew what was happening next or where anything was, we were sent in all kinds of directions. We had to listen to everything in 5 different languages at the show, loud speaker, safety drill, games bingo etc. we were not told that we would be subject to this. This was very annoying, when we asked our travel agent about this ship they said it would have an Italian décor, we were ill advised as to the type of ship we were going on. The anger from the passengers was just brewing by mid week and we were starting to feel uneasy and could not wait to get off this ship. There was this nawing feeling that something bad was going to happen. The following will outline the dangers we felt and the experience we had on board this ship. All week you could not avoid all the complaints from all the passengers even if you wanted to try and stay positive, everyone was talking in the lines ups, down the hall by the pool at the buffet even in Cozumel we were talking a salesman at one of the stores once he found out that we were on this ship he said he had heard complaints from other customers. the food was barely warm not alot of taste. Most of the staff was rude and inconsiderate. No smoking areas was not enforced all came home sick, ventalation was terrrible. Pool was too deep, no music around the pool very boring. Not enough to do if it rains or of you choose not to get off the ship. Beside the weather being nice this trip was on big flop.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

With MSC you get what you pay for, if you want a cheap cruise, you have to lower your expectations...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

Quite right Missyslp. I couldn't really see any dangers sticking out after the sentence 'the following will outline the dangers we felt...', it's just a case of you not liking it, but to say it's dangerous is a bold claim.

I'd be keen to know how they didn't enforce the drill - it is absolutely mandatory under SOLAS regulations that every passenger attend & if they don't, they will be tracked down by the safety officer who will deliberately walk them round the whole ship for as long as he can & bore them to tears. Once at a drill, nobody can force a passenger to pay attention when there are upwards of 600 of them - that is entirely up to you; so I'm really not sure what you mean by 'not enforced' ;-)

It's fairly common knowledge that MSC cater for the European market - hence all the announcements in different languages - & you would have found that out quite quickly had you looked at cruisecritic.com or similar.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

i know the saftey drill is by law

compared to other cruises we have been on

all drills were handled in and army fashion

like or lump it you were listening period

there was no control and very lax, you could watch it on TV if you could not make it. We are putting the word out to let everyone know, to us this ship was an accident waiting to happen. lack of English

no smoking not enforced. If the staff can not give you directions to a washroom or and elevator, and no control to get you on the tender boats (which took 2hrs) how in are they going to get you off the ship in an emergency. you would have a better chance if you just jumped.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

not once were we told or read that the day and night was going to be in 5 different languages

we took a cruise in Spain and it was ALL English

if this cruise line wants to get in on the USA and Canadian market then they need to step up their game

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

We did the Christmas Cruise and I see things have not improved. It was DREADFUL. The main problem was mismanagement and lack of organization. The food was, for the most part, inedible. Could you imagine lobster and prime rib turning out to be 1/2 langostina lobster baked with a sauce(itcame out either mushy or a football) and thinly sliced bottom round roast that was creamated? The ship would ldealy hold 1200 passengers but advertised it held 2500. How did they do it - tiny cabins and public rooms. The staff claimed no knowledge of answers for the simplest questions. The entertainment was second rate, at best. Use of the computers was expensive and, because they failed to have 2 satellite connections, VERY slow. The crowning touch was disembarking. Because the ship failed to have its paperwork in order, we were delayed 3 hours in disembarking. Of course, the captain claimed it was the fault of customs but we passangers know better. We, and many others, missed our flights homs. We've dubbed this cruise - "The Cruise From Hell" and echo your sentiments - NEVER GO ON THE ORCHESTRA.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

I Knew we were not dreaming or should i say a nightmare on this trip thanks for the support. there were so many angry passengers i thought all would have written by now. Maybe there is anothersight they wrote in on. i do not accept comments that were given that this was a cheep cruise and I need to lower my expectations. that is total bulls@%#.

the other cruises we went on were in and around the same price and we expect some issues BUT not the experiences we had on MSC total unacceptable.

I also heard on the ship that MSC are a huge cargo company, you can not compare cargo with humans.

have a great day

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

TB, I feel sorry that you had a lousy cruise & the point you made about them not being of the standard expected by US passengers is a fair one. My point was that it is all out there to read & has been for some time - the other site they all went to write on is most likely cruisecritic.com. To quote a line a line from the overview, 'MSC attracts a broad mix of primarily European passengers, and the number of languages spoken onboard reflects the line's wide geographic range (all major announcements are offered in up to six languages, even Japanese).' There are many reviews of the ship & not all of them glowing.

cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/…

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

point taken and thanks for the direction

TB

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

We cruised the Eastern Carribean-Samana,DR; St. Martin; Antigua; Nassua; from Feb 14-21 on Orchestra.

It was our first cruise and we knew it was a lower end line but wanted to experience it with freinds last miniute. The ship was nice from a rookie's perspective, especially if you're a smoker. The italian ownership and mid to high end staff were generally ok if spoke the language, as l did. But l could understand all the complaints regarding this cruise. Remember MSC is new in the Carribean and we heard all the problems from the past weeks before we sailed. We also had a ton of italian guests and entertainment bands from NY, as well. Special promotions filled this boat to capacity, so it was a little tight onboard. High family concentration- not for romance or seniors. Most of what you read is correct although because we were there with freinds, we had a great time, although wouldn't do it again.

Here some points worth noting:

-bring your own booze in your luggage and save a fortune. Pop costs 2.50us per can (bring your own thermal mugs)

-Get outside cabin, tip your steward and you'll aways have ice and a sparkling room

-request late seating at dinner unless you like eating at 5:30pm. Lunch and dinner are very good so don't fill up on breakfast.

-midnite buffett is great but line is really long, so don't waste you time unless your hungry

-Save you chairs early on deck otherwise you're SOL

-confirm any event or time with staff and take names to ensure satifaction, otherwise you will be disappointed when things don't happen as promised

-change your seating at dinner if you're not happy on the first night, otherwise it'll be too late

-get out at all stops and see the island for yourself...their tours are pricy so you can save by just getting out there and negotiating with locals

-keep in mind that MSC will add $24 per day per person in gratuity to your bill

-go with freinds so you don't rely on their activities to amuse you

-bring an italian/english dictionary/translator just to see what the crew are saying about you...lol

-drink always and often to soften you attitude toward the lines or problems that you see.

-Remember its a discount line...so you paying $1000 all-in will be different than paying $3-5000 on the more luxurious cruise lines.

Again, we had a great time because of the company we kept, although l doubt l would consider cruising for a very long while. It's just not for me but from a value perspective (flight, meals, transfers, etc)it could be for you, since they have improved from the first few weeks that they began sailing the carribean.

Like all trips, there is good and bad and only you can judge what's best for you.

10. Re: ***DO NOT***go on msc orchestra cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 17, 2009