We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MSC Orchestra

Dublin Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
MSC Orchestra

Hi has anyone taken a cruise on the orchestra? Did you bring children/teens? What are your thoughts?

Toronto, Ontario
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MSC Orchestra

Hi there:

Just read your questions and was wondering if you could help me. Going on the orchestra Carribbean Cruise on Jan. 10/09 and looking for info.

What is the dress code after dinner? (can you go more casual to the bars and disco - jeans/t-shirt)?

What was the food like...reviews of other ships not so good.

Are there any alcohol packages...wine or beer packages to purchase or is it just pay as you go?

Would appreciate any info you can provide on this ship as there is not a lot out there!

Thanks

Indiana...
Level Contributor
5 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MSC Orchestra

Get a refund. We just got off the 17 day transatlantic and it was horrific! all new staff, terrible food and no one speaks english or can answer any questions. You will fend for yourself and they leave you clueless. Sheets only changed twice in 17 days. The list is long. My letter is 9 pages long and Bob Sassa, Pres of MSC USA is already under alert that 2800 passengers are disguested with this cruiseline for the neglegence and disregard.

Margate, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: MSC Orchestra

I just got off the Orchestra innagural cruise. It was the most horrible cruise I have ever been on. I cruise every 2 months or so. The food was terrible. It took us 4 hours just to get on the ship. Nobody spoke english at all, even at the accounting desk (that is pretty bad). Nothing went right, and of the almost 3000 people onboard I don't believe any of them would ever do it again. There is no entertainment what so ever, not even any music by the pool during the day. Instead of a vacation it was just a weekend of stress.

Indiana...
Level Contributor
5 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MSC Orchestra

Sorry to hear that. Wish we could have warned you sooner. Now, could you imagine being stuck on that ship for 17 days? we were hoping after all our complaints they'd make some major changes.

As to why you couldn't get on for 4 hours. We didn't start to disembark until after 10am. Not because of Homeland Security but because they couldn't get the luggage organized. It was terrible.

fl
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MSC Orchestra

I too am going on the Jan. 10th sailing, this will be our 4th cruise on this line & have enjoyed every one. Yes, they do have beverage packages, they will be offering them on check in, alson on board. I would recommend to wait to purchase the wine pkg from your waiter so he can get the commission, obviously you will see him every evening. People have to realize this is not an American ship & yes, they do speak other languages. If that bothers anyone, they should stay with American lines. I for one enjoyed the experience & realize the 2 day trip was troublesome, so why would anyone want to limit there vacation to such a short time as naturally getting on & off is time consuming. GO WITH A POSITVE ATTITUDE.

New York
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: MSC Orchestra

Hi

My family and I are going on the MSC Orchestra ship in April of this year and I just wanted to know specifics about what was so horrific about the ship. Please write to me at rcollado13@aol.com.

Raquel Collado

Indiana...
Level Contributor
5 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MSC Orchestra

I understand that other people have traveled on other MSC ships. There were three families on our boat that loved Lirica and two others that loved Musica and Opera. All agreed...this was not the same company.

Again, I was not on the short trip but rather the long transatlantic crossing. Their soda package is $33 for 14 cans of soda (a 15 cent savings from the $2.50 per can) again not like other lines where it's one price for fountain drinks because this boat does not have fountain sodas available.

That aside....80% of the crew was new. And I mean brand new...they had never set foot on a cruise ship until the very day we did. There were tons of reasons why that we were given but bottom line this falls on poor planning from corporate. We had a meeting mid trip with the First Officer (Marcello) and even the Captain popped in. They admitted that they "blew it" this cruise. We stated that it was only mid trip and did they plan to make any changes and we were told no.

Safety....there was not any crew that attended the Muster Drill. After standing for 30 minutes with no instructions and no crew passengers decided to make their way back to their cabins. That was it. Then we never saw a hand sanitizer until St. Thomas (first US port) after the US Health Department came on board at 4pm after being called by the Coast Guard. A little too late as by this point all the crew and passengers had already been sick

Food...very bland, cold and either over cooked or raw. We were told by the First Officer (and I kid you not) that Italian's don't use much seasoning. Are you kidding me? Have they not heard of Oregano, Basil, Garlic???? He also stated these were all new menus and the cooks had never prepared them before. Our question was...how hard is it to make broiled lobster. Half the time you ended up with a meal you didn't order and it took hours to get service but I'll explain that in a minute. Then we learned from someone who demanded to speak to the head chef that all the food did not make it on the boat and they were told to skip ingredients rather than be creative.

Service...definitely not with a smile. Crew acted as we were in their way. I bussed my table at the buffet everyday until the last three days (just before tip time). They would stand and watch just a few feet away. I know where they keep rags, sugars, salt, etc. I told Marcello that I was paying to be on this ship...not being paid to work it. On gentleman asked why it took over an hour for his wife's fried and eggs and that the service was unacceptable and was told to shut up.

Paid for internet time. Its one thing if I chose not to use all the minutes purchased...I understand that's my lose. But if they have technical problems after one week and there's 10 days I can't use the internet...they should offer a refund. Nope...sorry..."it's our fault but we don't know what to do about it" So they took people's money for a service they couldn't provide and then kept it and offered no refunds. The list just goes on and on of problems with this ship.

Read the message boards...no one came off happy. 2800 passengers and we only met 3 that were enjoying themselves. As they put it..."they blew it" but I think what made it even worse is that they seemed indifferent to passenger’s safety and concern. Not what you would expect from the hospitality industry. And although we may not have cruised as many times as others, this was our 11th cruise so we do have an idea of what to expect from this industry in general. And it got to the point most people were so miserable they refused to spend money on the boat. Several common jokes among passengers "I'm not giving this company one more dime of my money." "I guess this is the line where you make lemonade out of lemons" I won't even go into all the acronyms people were coming up with for MSC but I'm sure you can imagine. And since the only words we heard from the crew were "I don't know", if you were on the pool deck and casual maybe answered your husband or wife with "I don't know", you'd have 15 people within ear shot start laughing. The cruise was a joke and it's a shame because it is a beautiful ship.

Final note - Try calling Customer Service and Post Cruise Care and you'll get a voice mail. Most people are not getting their calls returned.

If you chose to travel this line or this boat, all I can say is good luck and I hope they get their act together by then. As for me and about 2800 other passengers, we have no desire to sail the MSC ships again.

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: MSC Orchestra

Hi Our family is going on the orchestra in April as well. We are bring our two teenagers. I will not be paying in full for another 10 days, so I would love to hear some feedback. Most of the feedback I am reading is making me thing I should not move forward with this trip.

chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: MSC Orchestra

I just returned from the orchestra and found the food very good, service good- there were some crew that didnt speak english but if you speak slowly and with a smile- not like some of the ugly Americans I observed, you will get great service. And the kids program is great very busy.

chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: MSC Orchestra

The ship is quite beautiful - the food was very good, at least to me. Its NOT olive garden but true Italian as apposed to American Italian which many are use to. The Kids program is great and I saw many children on board from infants to teens and a program for all was available.

The Gelattio was the best I have ever had and is only $1.50 for a giant scoop.

Ive been on 55 cruises. And the only time you have a cruise from hell is if the ship sinks. Never had a bad one some different then others but never bad. Hey its in a warm climate (this time of year) I dont have to cook or clean and I'm waited on.

I did witness some very Ugly Americans on board but they seem to pop up all over if its not just like at home. IF YOU WANT IT LIKE HOME - STAY THERE.\

Anyway you wil have a great cruise. Bon Voyage