We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MSC Orchestra

1 post
Save Topic
MSC Orchestra

I booked myself on Orchestra. I would like to know if they allowed to bring your own bottle on board. Do they search you and your luggage?

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MSC Orchestra

Yes you can bring your own water. I packed a large bottle in my suitcase before boarding. I also brought back a large bottle of water after several excursions.

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MSC Orchestra

Security Xrays checked baggage. It is unclear whether *every* bag is Xrayed, but due to reports of sucessful alcohol smuggling, it seems unlikely. Anything suspicious (like glass) will be searched, possibly confiscated for the length of the cruise. Plastic works better. As for you and your hand luggage, you will not be frisked, but every item of carry on luggage is Xrayed in your presence, like airport security.

I quick check for the MSC policy unearthed this site:

They state there:

Enforcement Policy

Not stated by MSC

Online Chatter about Policy

Online chatter states that enforcement is uneven. Some passengers packed liquor or wine in check bags upon embarkation, some just brought it onboard from ports in not so obvious bags. Consistently there seems to be no corkage policy, so even wine must be consumed in cabin and not in the dining room. However one passenger even reported that their waiter did uncork the bottle they brought in the dining room. Another reported knowing someone who brought aboard 30 bottles of wine.

Toronto, Ontario
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MSC Orchestra

We are travelling on the Orchestra on Jan. 10/09 and would appreciate any info you could provide us with.

Can you bring your own alcohol in your luggage or not suggested?

Are there any alcohol packages, wine or beer packages or do you just pay as you go?

What is the dress code for after dinner...can you go to the bars and disco more relaxed attire (jean/t-shirt) or do you have to dress up?

Anything else you feel could be helpful would be appreciated!

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
united kingdom
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MSC Orchestra

We carried our own beer back on when we came back from port. They just said not to bring "too much" when we asked on our way out, even took it to the dining room. That was on MSC Armonia last August in the Baltic. Vodka also looks like water in a bottle.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MSC Orchestra

We went on the Orchestra over Christmas. We thought the dress code was very lax with people wearing trousers and open shirts even on Gala nights, however many passengers said the number of people adhearing to the dress code was better than on most crusise.

As far as drink is concerned some people had stff confiscated and some didn't. This was all a bit hit and miss. They do xray had luggage when re boarding at the ports unless you are at a port with its own customs.Barcelona is one such port so most people took drink on there.

They do do drinks packages but towards the we end found that they did 4 bottles of beer on an offer for $12 and 1/2 carafe of wine was $8. Far cheeper than buying the wine or beer packages. This may all change however depending on the cruise, destination and currency on board.

6. Re: MSC Orchestra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 06, 2009