We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

Mantua, New Jersey
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

Wondering if we can take more than 1-2 unopened wine bottles from visiting wineries/various Euro regions while on Euro cruises for return air flights into into US?

8 replies to this topic
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

On all cruises I've been in, including in Europe, there has been a table upon re-entering the ship from port to collect any alcohol purchases. These purchases are held till last night of cruise and returned then for you to take home (or drink all in one night, or for your patience cruise hotel, etc).

Sometimes they're not very diligent about collecting it and you can simply bypass and take it to cabin, others are more diligent. YMMV

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

Agree. The crunch comes with packing/getting it home.

Do some research on your airlines weight/baggage restrictions. It's often better to ship by mail or private service.

The winery may offer to do that for you, and research will tell you if they offer a good deal or not.

Maybe check Amazon for shipping sleeves/boxes?

https:/…B00NX6GNI6

Edited: 12:49 pm, June 05, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

it depends on the cruise line

On Oceania you can bring wine on to drink in your cabin or pay the corkage fee if you take it to a dining venue

We bought some bottle bags this time DH wants to bring home some special cognac that we cannot find here

Edited: 1:04 pm, June 05, 2018
Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

lht, have you used the bottle bags before? I've been disappointed. It may depend on brand/cost.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

FANNISH

No we usually do not take wine or spirits on the flight but bought these at Bentley's

the girl there said her Aunt uses them all the time so fingers crossed they work out

I am taking a bottle of Ice Wine & bringing home some cognac

will let you know how my clothes make out LOL

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

LOL,is it OK to pray for someone's baggage?

Bentley's version should be better than the bottle bags from Amazon which failed for friends.

Have a great trip.

Kent
Level Contributor
739 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

Not desperately useful but I’ve used card based shipping boxes to fly bottles from Australia to the UK. But the packages are large when folded up and wine is heavy (probably 1 kg a bottle).

That leads to the problem, in that it won’t be hard to blow your luggage allowance if it’s reckoned by the number of cases and even if not you’ll soon add a lot of weight and possibly run up excess baggage costs.

So for up to half a dozen bottles this might be viable, more than that and it starts to look too much of a challenge for my liking.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?

there are also wine suitcases people use

https:/…wine-luggage

https://vingardevalise.com/

I guess the only other issue is how much you are allowed to being into the Country before you pay duty & is it worth it

Reply to: Can we buy wine and take onto cruise ship from port visits?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted