We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing excursions

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Purchasing excursions

Is it better/cheaper to book your excursion online or onboard the ship?

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
449 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing excursions

I book online if I think a trip is going to be popular and sell out

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing excursions

Depends on the cruise line and the ports. Some lines sell their own excursions cheaper in advance and it's more expensive onboard while others are the same price regardless. Then there's also the option of using independent operators, which may also be less expensive than the ship's tours. So, do your research in each port to see what works best for you...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing excursions

I think if you are not organising your own shore ex, whether that's with a private company or simply walking off the ship, if there is a shore ex offered by the cruise line that is something you really want to do, you are better off booking ASAP to get a seat on the bus and if there are multiple times of departure, the departure time that suits you best.

Be aware that on some cruise / some ports the cost for different departure times may vary - I don't know why that is the case but it certainly is on a cruise I have booked a shore ex on.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,746 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing excursions

It is going to be different for every cruise line.

When I travelled on Carnival Spirit, all they showed on line in advance was maybe 2 or 3 shore excursions. Then when i got on board, I was given a 16 page booklet, with multiple shore excursions per page, giving details of each shore excursion. I was then able to purchase the shore excursions from an outlet in the lobby or from my room via a function on the TV which automatically charged my sail and sign card.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing excursions

If you join the "roll call" on Cruise Critic for your particular cruise you may be able to link up with others who are organising excursions. We find we do a mixture of ship organised, Cruise Critic join up, and independent excursions.

Its not just about the cost ,but in some places there might be something in particular that you want to do.

6. Re: Purchasing excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2018