We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarding pass on phone app?

Glasgow, United...
5 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Boarding pass on phone app?

I have a flight today that I have checked in for on the airlines app which displays the boarding pass.

As I am already checked in and have nothing but hand luggage I know I go straight to security however I'm just wondering do I need to print out the boarding pass or do I just show them the boarding pass which is displayed on my phone on their app?

My flight today is with easyjet and my return flight later in the week is with Ryanair (same thing, I have a boarding pass displayed on the app)

Thank you.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
18 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

Just show them your phone.

Edited: 4:00 am, October 31, 2016
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
24,098 posts
2. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

I use boarding passes apps most of the time, even the automated controls and check in counters recognised them.

Singapore
Level Contributor
847 posts
30 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

No you don't need to print your boarding passe out at all, just show the digital version from your phone.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
99 reviews
60 helpful votes
4. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

It matters on the airport, I have had trips where the outbound airport accepted mobile boarding passes yet the return airport did not and I needed to collect a paper pass at the airport. But, for me, if I needed to collect a paper boarding pass, it clearly stated this when I checked in, and given that you have successfully checked in and received the mobile boarding pass without any problems, the airport should be set up for them so you will not need to collect a paper boarding pass.

You just scan them like you scan a paper boarding pass.

At the automatic controls before security, the barriers will recognise the mobile and at the boarding gate, you just need to scan it too (sometimes I have had gate agents let me hold the phone and they scan it with a handheld scanner, other times the scanner is fixed and I wave the phone over it and it scans and then in other situations I have had the agent take my phone in their hands and scan it themselves, seems to vary depending on airport/agent)

Edited: 5:10 am, October 31, 2016
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
5,083 posts
5. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

hmmm, as above, but, It depends on where you are flying too.

Ryanair have a (small) list of exclusions where the airport can't or don't use the app and it has to be paper, I flew Easyjet in April to Bodrum and was required to have a paper copy, I can't remember why or if it was a temp measure.

I take both versions for all my flights just for peace of mind.

2nd bottom link here https:/…0-8

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
99 reviews
60 helpful votes
6. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

That also interesting JockBossBob, the most common route I encountered this difference was EDI-EMA where at EDI I could use my mobile but at EMA I couldn´t.

If you check the FlyBe website (https:/…airport-availability.htm) and at EMA you still can´t use mobile boarding passes

BUT

the Ryanair website indicates you can use mobile passes at EMA when flying Ryanair, so it seems it can be airline dependent not just airport dependent which I didn´t realise, so, OP, I would check both airline´s websites to make sure your airports aren´t on the non-allowed list for that airline

Edited: 5:28 am, October 31, 2016
Glasgow, United...
5 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

Thank you for responses, all very helpful.

I am flying with easyjet Glasgow Int to London Stanstead and back with Ryanair London Stanstead to Glasgow Int.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
60,421 posts
2,167 reviews
1,885 helpful votes
8. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

With all systems working, I agree - just show the device for a visual, or a scan.

Not with EasyJet, but over last 2 months, I have been behind a half-dozen folk, who have had major issues with their devices. One reason that I want a hard copy of my BP.

Fly safely,

Hunt

Illinois
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
9. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

Since you say you live in Glasgow, this probably doesn't affect you, but you can't use a mobile boarding pass on Ryanair unless you're an EU/EEA (can't remember which) citizen because they have to stamp your boarding pass when they check your passport.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,197 posts
10. Re: Boarding pass on phone app?

With scanning the barcode

from your phone make sure the brightness is on maximum so the scanner can recognise

the barcode.