We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

Hi, I've heard people swear by AA because of the 34" seat pitch but it looks like it may be a thing of the past. Seatguru says the AA 777 has 31-32" and NWA A-330 has 31-33". Any recent AA experience or a different suggestion? Thanks.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,648 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

Yes, it is a thing of the past.

Where in the Midwest (it's a big area)?

From Gatwick I prefer Continental with the stipulation that you avoid the flights operated by Boeing 757s. They are dreadful. It will mean a change in Newark, but unless you are flying to one of the few Midwest airports that has a direct link to Gatwick, you will have to change somewhere.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

Thanks, world. Could have been Dallas to Gatwick if AA, but now will most likely be Mpls or Detroit on NWA unless there's an airline with better seat pitch with direct flight from Chicago to London. That may sway the decision.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

If you book early, call in your reservation, or pay full fare, United operates nonstop service to London Heathrow Airport form Chicago with a selection of seats in the front of economy known as "economy plus". They fly only the large Boeing 777 aircraft to London so no risk of a small cramped 757. The economy plus has five inches extra of legroom over the rest of economy also. I have had very enjoyable flights when I am in this section of economy, the pitch and legroom makes huge differences.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

Thanks so much! I'll try that today. Thought I had heard something like that about one of the airlines but didn't know where to start except here...

West Sussex, Great...
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

Economy Plus on United really doesn't make enough of a difference if you have to pay for it. Only fly United if you can get it for free. Chicago is such a hell hole.

Otherwise NWA is a fine choice, I flew them over the new year and their new A330-300's have comfortable seats.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

All of the business class seats as well as first class seats have great pitch!

An inch or two in coach isn't much to worry about, the widebody's are better than the 29 inch pitch on most narrowbody's.

Mike in Tulsa

7. Re: Which airline from midwest US to Gatwick for best seat pitch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 20, 2009