We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Well, well. It just goes to show that there is such a thing as bad publicity for Ryanair. Because of all the negative reaction to O'Leary's arrogance in TV interviews over the weekend, and the fact that the lid had been blown off their little sting of refusing to collect £5 at the airport while still being prepared to charge people for a whole new ticket, they have backtracked - after a fashion.

They have finally put something on their website. The pertinent bit is this:

"[I]n accordance with Article 4.2.2 of Ryanair's General Conditions of Carriage, all affected passengers will be advised via email of the additional tax amount that will be automatically charged to the credit card or debit card used to pay for their original booking. These credit/debit card transactions will take place over the next 2 weeks."

What this means is that passengers won't be denied boarding if they didn't pay the tax in advance or buy a anew ticket (Ryanair obviously realised how bad that would look). But you will have your credit or debit card charged automatically instead.

This means that if you have decided not to fly for whatever reason, including not wanting to pay the extra duty (for reasons of affordability or principle) that's tough. They will charge you anyway.

Jet2 is also charging people's cards automatically. They and Ryanair are the only two I know of so far.

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

I cant believe they are going to charge people automatically using their bank details.

Thats just going to be great if you have no money in your account and Ryanair comes along and takes some extra cash, then you end up with a £30 bank charge.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Don't leave it to me to say this but really Odile, at least you are getting to fly which was not certain before. It is only a tenner for Pete's sake (or Mike's in this case!)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

But mfuwe, what if I decide I don;t want to fly, either because I can't afford the extra tenner (supportters of Ryanair are always saying how they have made flying affordable for those who can't afford to pay more) or out of principle because I agree with O'Leary that the tax is unfair?

Since it's impossible to cancel a Ryanair flight (except in very specific circumstances) I have lost my right to make that choice by Ryanair taking the money from me automatically. It's probably illegal too, as the only way that anyone can take money from your account is if you agree a standing order or a direct debit. They cannot simply take payment details that you have given them before and use them to make further charges that you didn't authorise.

I agree that it takes away the uncertainty, but they should allow people to opt out of paying the extra and not flying.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

The mail I got from Easyjet asking for the £5 said

"Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may result in you not being allowed to take your flight."

People had until today to pay.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

It's really interesting because I never got that email, and I made a change to the booking and was not asked at that point for the extra money. Did the email have a special link to make the payment? There is certainly still no information on their website.

In any event, they have said that they will collect the extra money on the day, so if they ask for it then I will pay it. It's only a fiver as I am flying abroad so I won't be affected coming back.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

I can't give you the link, because it goes to a page customised for my booking. Unless you want to pay my £20 for me. ;-)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Yeah, that's what suprises me. I logged in to my booking and made a change (added speedy boarding) which required me to re-enter my credit card. I expected there to be a note saying "Oh BTW you owe us and extra fiver" but there wasn't. So maybe I have slipped through the net, but as I say, they are certainly on shaky ground if they try to deny me boarding in those circumstances.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,358 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Odile,

"Thats just going to be great if you have no money in your account and Ryanair comes along and takes some extra cash, then you end up with a £30 bank charge."

That can only happen if you paid by Debit Card. When you receive notification of the charge you have the opportunity to put funds in your account to cover it. If you paid by Credit Card you will have until your statement settlement date to pay off the balance outstanding.

All this bickering and finger pointing at RyanAir or Easyjet or Jet2Com or Lufthansa or any other airline that decides to act in accordance wsith its Booking Conditions is taking attention away from and playing right into the hands of real perpetrator of this scam - our future Prime Minister!

I'm as angry as anyone else as I booked and paid in full, or so I thought, last September with Qatar Airways. If they don't pass the tax on to me via Last Minute.com, great, if not I expect it to be collected most easily by the credit card I originally used. The last thing I want is to pay it at the airport.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Worldvoyager. When did O'Leary care what was legal or ethical?

By all means make a stand if you feel bad about it. All I was saying to the 2nd post was it was only a tenner and at least they were not going to stick him/her for an extra ticket.

Nobody was removing the right to choose you can still not fly and tell them where to stick their ticket only your principle will have cost you another tenner.

The trick of grabbing more cash from a known card is practised by Car Rental firms all the time.

Best for now.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair backs down - after a fashion

Arandora got in 4 minutes before me. I had not seen his post when I wrote the above.

I think he says it all.