We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

T M
2 posts
Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

In December 2015, Alaska Airlines requested that I remove my luggage strap from the bag I was checking. Specifically, when I went to put it on, she said "Don't worry about that. You'll have to remove it anyway."

Anyone else have this experience at the airport baggage checK?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
71,417 posts
73 reviews
141 helpful votes
1. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

What's a luggage strap?? Do you mean something that you wrap around your suitcase?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19,782 posts
128 reviews
76 helpful votes
2. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

Riff, it's a shoulder strap for carrying a non-wheeled bag. It's always better to remove them as they can easily get snagged on conveyor belts if you leave the, out.

Edited: 10:28 pm, May 09, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
10 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

I always remove my luggage strap when going through security.

4. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:23 am, May 10, 2016
Edited: 12:23 am, May 10, 2016
Paris, France
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
21 reviews
81 helpful votes
5. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

Luggage straps are the straps that wrap around the outside of the bag to supposedly hold your bag shut.

I've never used one, so unfortunately cannot help the OP - except to clarify that they are not the same as a detachable shoulder strap.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
26,760 posts
380 reviews
1,182 helpful votes
6. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

"Luggage straps are the straps that wrap around the outside of the bag to supposedly hold your bag shut."

___

And another way to help you identify your case on the luggage belt, although I've been on some flights and seen dozens of rainbow coloured luggage straps on cases on the belt - I assume those with them thought they would be the only ones to have that style! ;-)

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

I have been using a luggage strap (green - too many rainbows out there) around my bag for many years, and I was only told once to remove it when I checked in with Air France at LAX. The reason they gave was that AF doesn't allow straps, but it wasn't a problem all the other times I have flown with AF or other airlines.

T M
2 posts
8. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

https://www.google.com/search?q=luggage+strap&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1_6mJ1s_MAhVO9GMKHUdZDJAQ_AUICCgC&biw=1172&bih=927

Luggage Staps = colorful/unique straps that buckle around your luggage to make it easier to ID @ baggage claim.

9. Re: Are luggage straps not allowed anymore? (Alaska Airlines)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 12, 2017