We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Worldwide
Search

Skip the first leg of a flight?

Oregon
2 posts
Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

Hi I booked a United return flight from Dublin Ireland to ORD that has a 10 hour layover at Heathrow in the middle of the night. Can I take an earlier flight on my dime and then board the second leg at Heathrow? I believe the first leg is Air Lingus and the second United. Any other solution? Thanks.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
12,797 posts
34 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

If you skip the first leg on a ticket you will be classified as a no-show and all sub-subsequent flights are cancelled. So the answer is: no you cannot skip the first leg.

If you are willing to pay then contact the airline and change your ticket or just use the money you are willing to pay for a hotel at the airport. The hotel costs likely less than buying a ticket.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
357 reviews
371 helpful votes
2. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

Assuming you bought the itinerary on a single ticket (and not two separate tickets), missing the first flight will automatically cancel the second leg. The only solution would be to see what Air Lingus will do regarding a change fee to book another flight. If you did indeed buy two separate tickets, you will be able to discard the first flight and still take the second.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
36,766 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

"If you are willing to pay then contact the airline and change your ticket ..."

==>> That's what you'd have to do. But with United's (and other US carrier) change fees being $300, before difference in fare that wouldn't be a good use of money.

"... or just use the money you are willing to pay for a hotel at the airport. The hotel costs likely less than buying a ticket."

==>> Plenty of decent hotels around the perimeter road and all price ranges. This link (hope it works) shows most of the hotels that can be reached by free bus from T2 - https://goo.gl/maps/aiPxwVR3fMx

There are also a couple of much cheaper hotels at Hounslow Central, three tube stops from the T123 station. Let us know your budget in pounds (£) and forum members can make suggestions.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
15,469 posts
180 reviews
133 helpful votes
4. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

I wish I had a £ every time somebody asked this question :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
24,708 posts
36 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

This question is asked on a daily basis and the answer is always no.

I wonder how many others think they can do this but don't ask and just turn up at the airport thinking it will be ok having skipped the first flight on the ticket.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
120 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

Not another one!!

The answer is NO, NO and NO again.

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
27,197 posts
51 reviews
52 helpful votes
7. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

At least this one didn't claim to have been looking through the forums but finding no answer to his "unique" situation .......

United States
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

If you ever want entertainment arrive at an airport early and watch. You will be amazed at the excuses you hear.

(Note; I have actually gotten away with skipping the first leg. Of course, it was a combination of factors and I was on the phone with the airline from step 1. Their inbound to my town was going to be about 5 hours late creating all kinds of problems with my onward flight. It was a 3 hour drive to the hub so I discussed it with the airline and started driving. Still had a hassle at checkin in the hub, but the finally found the note in the file and were able to reinstate the original flights/seats etc...)

Oregon
2 posts
9. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

Thanks for the replies. All very helpful. My apologies for not researching more. All the TA ads have made getting to the forum challenging. Again thanks all! :-)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
27,443 posts
381 reviews
1,194 helpful votes
10. Re: Skip the first leg of a flight?
Save

"My apologies for not researching more"

___

At least you asked the question before turning up at the airport. Good luck buddy in your travels!