We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopovers

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
stopovers

im planning on visiting OZ mid oct for 3 weeks, have been looking at flight prices.. a) i dont know which company would be the 'best' one to travel with and B) where would be the ideal stopver for a few days to and from oz? i had thought of dubai on the way out and singapore on the way back.. other have suggested hong kong but it doesn't really appeal to me.. any suggestions please :O) many thanks

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopovers

I think that I would do Singapore there and Bangkok on the way back. Of course, price and timings would have an influence, also.

Singapore for the food, Bangkok.. well, becaue it is Bangkok.

Paul

Hong Kong
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: stopovers

AIRLINES

Not knowing which class you're own I will assume economy. Singapore Airlines, BA, Quantas are all pretty much the same except Singapore airlines has a bettter entertainment system. BA and Quantas have improved and you avoid the hassle of Terminal 3 in Heathrow which is the seventh circle of Dante's Inferno.

Singapore Airlines do travel from Manchester which should be better than Heathrow. They are also upgrading their seats, which may make things even better.

A wildcard is Malaysian airlines, who are very friendly and have a good service (best economy class world wide).

Note that only BA/Quantas offer various options, as they have 3 hubs (Bangkok, Singapore, and Hong Kong).

STOPOVERS

Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are both good fun, and generally safe cities with lots to offer. If you don't mind "staying over" for 3-4 days you can take a cheap "no-frills" flight to lots of places, including phuket, koh samui, or a ferry in the case of Singapore to Bintan, Batam, or Malaysia. Try air asia (from Kuala Lumpur), or jetstar and tiger airways, from Singapore.

Singapore is a good stopover with lots to offer, although some may accuse it of being a bit sterile ("Asia for begginers"). Dubai is one very big construction site with a traffic jam down sheikh zayed road, and is also far from cheap.

The other idea if you have time is to go round the world, say London, Singapore, Austalia, Los Angeles, London.

Hope this helps.

newcastle
Level Contributor
791 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stopovers

I've done stopovers in both Hong Kong and Singapore. Hong Kong is an amazing place - so different to the UK, whereas I found Singapore quite sterile and a lot of the time it seemed like you could have been everywhere (shops consisted of Topshop etc.)

You could consider Tokyo. We flew to Oz with Japan airlines and they were superb, we found them to be better than Emirates and BA for long haul.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stopovers

I stopped over in Singapore both to and from the UK.

Stayed on Orchard Road on the way over, for 3 nights, and at Changi (the beach area) on the way back.

Found that Orchard Road was central, and saw most of the sights from there in the 2 days we had available.

Changi was a different side of Singapore, and it was lovely to stay where I could walk on the beach, and feel much more relaxed.

I would check out the weather at that time of year before deciding. One of the girls at work went to Dubai on her honeymoon and found it too hot to leave the air conditioned hotel in the desert weather. Singapore was incredibly humid (think breathing through a wet sponge) and felt very hot even though we were travelling in our summer, where 37 degrees C is normal.

I haven't stopped over anywhere else, so can't make any comparisons for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stopovers

hyperwelshangel, are you going to be visiting Ginger?? ;) What a great trip for you to take!!

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stopovers

hey gabby, hows u!!- i duno lol.. depends if ging is in town in november ;o) id love to visit koh samui etc (is that the same place that the film beach/di caprio filmed??) i will look up malaysian and singapore airlines now.. there's a sodding sale on BA lhr-syd £770 rtn.. and typical the sale will be finished by the time i will have saved the cash up by the end of jan ffs lol.. thank u all for the tips.. will google them all up :o)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stopovers

We stopped over on the way back at Singapore for a day and a half and wished we'd stayed longer. On the way out, we went 'direct', it was 'only' 19 hours with a 2hr stop at Bangkok and it was good to just get there as quick as possible. Friends recently did a similar trip and used Trailfinders to arrange it all, they were very complementary about them.

We used Travelbag to arrange our flights but I haven't heard good things about them recently.

We flew with Quantas on a ticket that allowed you to fly any combination of Quantas and BA, pus a certain no of free internal flights as wel in Ozl, not sure if that deal is still going. I understand that Virgin are due to start flying to Oz soon.

Worth checking out the cost of Premium Economy type seats, and also sometimes you can get 2 for 1 deals on business class. Worth considering on a trip of this duration.

lincoln england
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: stopovers

hi,

I am sure you have made an excellent choice with Dubai and singapore as stopovers Hong Kong is also a super place but

avoid Bangkok it is seedy! have been to all those places and

would go back anytime

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stopovers

singapore is pretty sterile in comparison to hong kong (and macau).

can't agree that bangkok is "seedy". guess it could be considered that if u are not used to asia. the city has many beautiful and interesting places to visit. compared to the other two maybe it has retained its genuine asian atmosphere due to the fact that western colonizers have pretty much left it alone. having said that the recent bombings are a worry.

10. Re: stopovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, August 21, 2009