We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

I gave up my seat on am America West/US Airways flight when promised a round trip ticket, only to find that the round trip voucher is next to impossible to book. I tried booking a flight (never around travel holidays) THREE months in advance at least 4 different times to be told there were no "voucher" seats available. Two months before the ticket was to expire I called US Airways three different times, getting a different story every time, after finally being able to book a flight with the voucher on the third call. The phone rep gave me a confirmation number and told me I must pick up the ticket at an airport ticket counter. After an hour of standing in line and arguing/waiting for the ticket counter rep to figure out how to book my ticket, I was lied to and told I could not receive an ETicket as well as there wasn't a supervisor on the floor for another hour. This Airline is dishonest and rude to their customers. I will make it a point to never fly with them even if it means buying a more expensive ticket or flying out of an airport farther away. I was appalled by the way they treated me especially after I accommodated them by giving up my seat. There is a reason why US AIRWAYS is in the red and quality companies like Southwest are extremely profitable.....they VALUE their customers!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

"There is a reason why US AIRWAYS is in the red and quality companies like Southwest are extremely profitable....."

Sorry you had a bad experience with them. But they're not " in the red". I know they had a $300 million + profit in the second quarter of '06, not sure if they've released the third quarter yet...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
664 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

I also gave up my seat one time for a promise of round trip ticket and first class seats on the next flight. Actually, this was AmWest before the merger.

I received everything they promised. Flew first class from JFK to Phoenix - first class to Vegas. The total time lost from original ticket - 2 hours. Not bad.

Was able to use "vouchers" with not a single hitch. Made our reservations about 2 months in advance. I guess it depends what route you are on and time of year. Some routes are busier and will not have too much availability.

Flew the UsAirways/AmWest recently and had not one problem.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

The same thing happened to me on AirTran. I gave up my seats for two round-trip tickets, only to discover they were next to impossible to use. After numerous calls and no luck getting tickets to places (we had about 8 we wanted to go), I asked where I could go on the particular days I wanted to go. We were able to go to Atlanta. It turned out to be a fun trip but it was really annoying that they weren't as easy to use as expected.

West Sussex, Great...
Level Contributor
174 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

The vouchers you were given were probably from the same fare class as air miles awards, in which case you are competing with people who are cashing in air miles for a seat. If offered a Voluntary Denied Boarding I would ask for cash if available or airline $$, something that wasn't capacity restricted like free tickets.

5. Re: DO NOT Give Up Your Seat On Over-Booked US Airways Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 17, 2009