We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

I just got back from a trip to Italy and wanted to remind everyone to constantly check your gate number especially if you have a long layover. My layover in CDG was 5 hours (it was that or a 1.5 hour connection) and the gate number was changed 2 hours before the flight. I always make it a habit to constantly check the monitors to make sure the gate # hasn’t changed so it wasn’t a problem but I think some people just plop down at the gate and never check the monitors again. I know they make announcements but sometimes the airport noise is too loud to hear or I’m just zoning out.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
90,852 posts
478 reviews
380 helpful votes
1. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Thanks for the timely reminder that things can change.

I don't rely on announcements, even if the airport makes them. I hardly ever take my eyes off the information screens.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
24,667 posts
36 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

"I know they make announcements but sometimes the airport noise is too loud to hear or I’m just zoning out."

In many airports they no longer make announcements - a timely reminder.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
66,113 posts
2,284 reviews
2,078 helpful votes
3. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Excellent advice.

On a recent flight, we had 4 gate changes in about two hours. One positive was that the UA app kept us updated fairly quickly and efficiently. Last change came just as we were walking across the concourse to the "last assigned gate," when we spotted sign for our flight about 8 gates away. We paused, and the app went off. Even the GA was confused, as she thought that she was working the gate for another flight, and had yet to be notified that things had changed - yet again.

Besides the signage/monitors, the airlines' apps seem to be worthwhile too.

Hunt

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Hmm, I remember one flight where they changed the gate right at the last moment, so everyone trekked along, what was a good ten minute walk, and did it fast, only to get there, wait a few mins and have it changed back, three hundred annoyed people rushing en masse back to the original gate.

It was daft, if I was more cynical I'd say someone messed up or did it for the lols. 😃

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
90,852 posts
478 reviews
380 helpful votes
5. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

In my experience across a range of jobs, when something goes wrong it's normally down to incompetence rather than a deliberate action.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
48 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Hmm, I remember one flight where they changed the gate right at the last moment, so everyone trekked along, what was a good ten minute walk, and did it fast, only to get there, wait a few mins and have it changed back, three hundred annoyed people rushing en masse back to the original gate.

It was daft, if I was more cynical I'd say someone messed up or did it for the lols. 😃

Was it with Sky High Airlines?

skyhighairlines.com/Radio_Spots/GateChange.m…

Edited: 11:31 am, May 29, 2015
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
55 helpful votes
7. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Huge lol, either that or some employee heard that and felt it was a plan that would catch on. Who knows, maybe they wanted us to work up an appetite and a thirst so we would buy food and drink on board. 😃

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,359 posts
20 reviews
196 helpful votes
8. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Once in Amsterdam we were right on the last minute for gate closure with Easyjet and running towards the furthest gate when right in front of me the gate changed to the one we were rushing past. We stopped dead and strolled in, so instead of being last in the boarding queue we were first and this was before allocated seating.

Jackie

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
68,271 posts
181 reviews
180 helpful votes
9. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

Last year, our next flight out of DFW was scheduled to depart from Terminal D. Naturally, my colleague and I decided to spend time at the AMEX Centurion Lounge at Terminal D before the flight. The AMEX lounge offered a massage service so he was in there getting his back done. About an hour before the flight, I looked at the TV monitor and it has changed to Terminal C. It was a good thing I looked.

Illinois
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: Reminder to constantly check your gate number at airport
Save

I've also found the airline apps (for the major US airlines anyway) to be pretty reliable. Often it changes on the app before they make an announcement or change the sign at the gate. Sometimes before they change the info boards.

I generally just assume my gate will change at the larger US airports. I don't think it's so common at places like Heathrow where there's a common waiting area and they only post the gate 20 min or so before boarding starts, probably because they didn't post anything until they were pretty sure. Good think too, as it always seems to be a LONG way to the gates my flights back to the US leave from (past about 100 empty gates).