We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible Fear of Flying

Scarsdale, NY
2 posts
Save Topic
Terrible Fear of Flying

THis Christmas I would like to take my family on a nice vacation, we have not been away in 5 years, But I have a terrible fear of flying. The last time I flew I was freaking out, every little noise I heard I thought there was something wrong. I live in NY and my 12 year old wants to go to Florida, and I am actually contemplating putting us on a 25 hour train ride. Anyone else have a hard time with flying?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

My husband HATES flying . Go to the doctor and get anti anxiety meds. They work!! We also have done LOTS of driving trips. It might be fun for your kids to drive and help plan the trip figuring out where they'd like to stop. It 's actually quite educational.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

Anxiety pills are definately a good answer. I have a friend that in the past could not fly for exactly that reason. She has successfully flown on a few cross country and international flights with meds.

As a teenager I had a fear of airplanes but was once forced due to time restrictions to take a flight and I was hooked. Not everyone can have this luxury. As a licensed aircraft mechanic I can tell you the noises you hear are normal and in fact you have nothing to worry about unless everything gets really really quiet. Modern day aircraft have redundancy systems for the redundant systems. You are hearing noises from so many different areas of the plane you might not realise are supposed to make noise. Landing gear, hydraulic accumulators, flaps, slats, fans and so on. One of the biggest problems is not being in control. You are sitting in back of a closed wall and all your trust is in 2 people you have never met. You cannot see directly in front of you and so on. Start with a visit to your family doctor and if at all possible, go hang out at a local airport. Maybe visit a flying club for a coffee. Before you know it you just might be chatting up a storm with someone. When you are done with that start looking around hangars. I did that many many years ago and talked with engineers and asked tons of questions. I've seen a lot of people too. Rest assured you are not the only one with a fear of flying but do not give up.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

pleaase if you are very afraid, dont take medications from the dr, get herbal if you have to, trial at home first to see if they help relax you and dont have any side effects on you.dont drink alcohol with either.

What can I say about being afraid, weve had many a discussion on here about people being afraid, and loads have helped out with suggestions,

All I can say is there is nothing to worry about

And im not going to go into stats as to how safe you are, as you are safe!!!

I hope that you can make the journey and overcome your fear, as fear is something that can take an awful toll on our lives indeed.

Maybe let the airiline know that you are afraid and you can be sat near the cabin crew so they can reassure you, ive seen that work before.

I know that there is a book about fear of flying, others on here know the name.

goodluck

Lil xx

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

Take a look at 'The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying' by Allen Carr. It's my wholehearted recommendation.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

Is it fear of flying or fear of death? In my mind, they are two separate things. Or fear of death in a horrible manner, as in one where you know you are going to die minutes before it actually happens?

'Cause I'm not afraid to fly, just afraid of those few horrible minutes when you know its going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

We all say traveling by car is far more dangerous than flying, and it is staistically so. But the trouble I have on the plane is more of a control issue. I am not in control of the plane, but I am in contol of the car. I know its stupid, but at least in my case that's what it boils down to.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

I have a fear of death and certainly a fear of death in a horrible manner. I'm sure alot of people do. I suppose a fear of heights is basically a fear of death, a fear of water or of snakes. Yes, a person worried about the termination of their life will find a problem with some un-natural aspect of that aforementioned life, simply by being in a circumstance that is different, unfamiliar and therefore induces fear. This could be in a darkened basement with the all the lights off, a room full of spiders or in a metal tube 37,000 in the air with no chance of getting off until touchdown.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

In the UK they run a 'fear of flying course', do they do such things in the US?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

Just what I was thinking Joe- it may well be something looking into - all your questions and fears about flying will be addressed that would hopefully go someway to help allieviating your fear.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

I, too, have a terrible fear of flying... Already this year I've girded my loins and bought a ticket, only to chicken out and cancel the trip!!! Fortunately, I get credit for it (good ole' Southwest), but lost $150 on the room and lose the rest of the deposit (another $150) if I don't use within a year. And it is NOT a drive I'd be willing/able to make!!! Somehow I figure if I can buy more time, I'll work up the nerve, LOL.

I also posted on this topic here (some time ago), but I haven't followed it lately. Frankly, I secretly think if I just did it, I'd absolutely LOVE it and feel so transformed, liberated, and proud of my darn self... But then I think about burning to a cinder in a firey crash or those last moments plummeting to the ground... Leaving my poor old mother alone in her dotage and my cats without a home; waaa!

If you at least got on a plane (so you could hear noises), you can't be THAT bad; just take some Xanax. On the other hand, you can do the train trip and absolutely enjoy it; it's my favorite form of travel...

Kentucky
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrible Fear of Flying

Incidentally, I don't personally call my fear a "phobia"; that's an IRRATIONAL fear... Being trapped in an aluminum tube surrounded by unbreathable air with heaven-knows-who at the controls and heaven-knows-who-else sitting beside you (and remember that there are 100,000,000 wires in the plane that someone else is responsible for maintaining), and I feel my fear of being completely helpless in there is absolutely sane???

Statistically, yes, flying is safer, but it's the whole "control" thing...

People who aren't nervous just amaze me; I'd like to know how they shut off the thoughts!!! Maybe they should pipe nitrous oxide into the passenger cabin; then we all -- aerophobes and terrorists alike -- could just sleep through the experience!!! Another great idea.