We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience with US Airways

California
9 posts
Save Topic
Bad experience with US Airways

I recently had very frustrating experience with US Airways. I traveled with them in June 2006. My flight was overbooked, and they asked for volunteer to give up their seats in return for a voucher. I gave up my seat, stayed in the airport for long extra hours, but later found out that I'm never able to use my voucher due to ridiculously limited seats/flights valid for voucher usage.

A number of facts:

First of all, during the five hours that I stayed at the airport waiting for the next departure flight after I gave up my original seat, three US Airways flights in a row were overbooked and asked for volunteers. This means they are probably intentionally overbooking their flights.

Second, this is my fifth time trying to make a reservation using my voucher but without success. Every time I tried to book more than one month in advance, and some of my traveling dates are just normal weekends, not to mention holidays such as July 4 or Christmas.

Third, they never told tell me that voucher usage is limited to flights/seats when they wanted me to give up my seat (they only say it will be valid in one year and domestic travel only). So I think I'm maliciously misinformed.

All in all, I think they intentionally overbook (three flights in a row!) and place ridiculous limitations on voucher usage so that they will never pay back the volunteers (five times, book one month in advance and didn't get a single one that fits my schedule!). Therefore, please don't be the fool like me traveling with them, or worse, give up your seat in exchange for a useless voucher (not to mention all the time I wasted on the phone with them trying to make a reservation)!

bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad experience with US Airways

Karen:

Based on my experience with USAir customer service, I am not surprised to hear your story.

I lived in pittsburgh during graduate school and so had almost no other choice but to use their airline to travel back and forth for breaks.

The worst was three years ago (7 years after graduate school and my promise to myself to never use USAir again). My husband and I decided to take a trip to the bahamas and USAir was the most reasonable flight we could get, others meant hundreds of dollars more or more than one connection. So, we went with it.

On our way home, the entire east coast was hit with a snow storm and we only made it the first leg of our trip, to charlotte, NC. From the time we got off of the plane, we were given no assistance at the gates, there was no way to get through on the telephone and they had closed the check in desks. We had no information and so we banded together with others who were supposed to be on our flight to NYC and went to a hotel for the night. The people we met indended to get up and go to the airport at the crack of dawn the next day to get on a flight. When we got up and went downstairs, they were already back at the hotel and said that US Air did not open its doors for the 3 hours they sat down there and the whole time they had tried to get a call through to the 800 number but the number was not working.

To make a long story short, on our THIRD DAY in Charlotte with NO assistance from USAir and no way to contact USAir, we took our chance and went to the airport hoping that the boarding passes we had from the cancelled second leg of our flight would not be scrutinized enough at security and we could make it through to the gates to try to get some assitance. By a miracle, we made it through (I think it was the poor kid's second day of work at the security line) and made it onto a flight going to philadelphia by seconds since at that time all flights to New York were still sold out and booked up with people waiting on lists all day.

We made it to philadelphia and then took a train to NYC. This all happened without any assistance from USAir. It was only through us getting lucky in the security line and hearing an announcement for a flight we could take that we made it home.

I'll never fly USAIr again, I ended up giving away a frequent flyer ticket so I didnt have to fly with them again. I undestand it was a weather related issue but at some point, you have a responsibility to at least TRY to help people. At least to make sure your phone number works after 2 days!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad experience with US Airways

This isn't just USAirways. It's all the airlines. Airlines overbook because people don't show.

Revenue mgmt of the airlines try to figure who's coming and who isn't. When they make errors, they must provide compensation.

Most will offer free tickets (with loads of small print).

Some will offer free tix with no restrictions.

Some will offer credit vouchers. I always ask for this type of voucher. When you have a $100 voucher, you can apply it to the cost of a ticket. There are no restrictions when you get these vouchers. If you're offered say a $400 voucher, ask for it in $100 denominations; because the airlines don't give change!!

When told 'we don't do that'; I always respond that my travel is mostly international. Bingo. I win.

Sometimes you just have to walk away from the offer of a free ticket. If it's too good to be true...

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad experience with US Airways

this over booking and voucher handing out is just ridiculous at times

I just think, what would happen if we over booked concerts?

or other things?

This airline practice has always wound me up.

Lil xx

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad experience with US Airways

I always see really long lines for US Airways. One reason I avoid using them. Guess they really overbook their flights.

5. Re: Bad experience with US Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 16, 2009