We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

I am looking for the best travel agency for both flight/hotel. IM interested in finding out what agencies members of this forum uses and why.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

Absolutely - anyone who travels internationally without travel insurance is asking for BIG trouble. Our travel insurance comes wiht our Visa card and covers pretty well any travel emergency that might occur. However having travel insurance does not protect you from the lost time , the lost pleasure or the stress etc that can happen if planes are delayed, luggage is lost etc. We had an experience in Tonga where our plane was delayed for 2 days. Travel insurance covered our financial losses - but there is no way to make up for some of the experiEnces we missed such as a flight we had booked which landed inside a volcano.

Lots of other things went a little bit wrong too - but we were able to ring our agent in Sydney and get them sorted out. I'm sure we would have had some problems getting Expedia to deal with the fact that our non English speaking hostess couldnt understand that since we had a voucher that meant we had paid already and the money was in her bank and we didnt have to pay on check out as she was insisting we did. A fax to her from the agent cleared up the problem. By the way there was no electronic comunication on the island then.

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
707 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

From reading this forum (Barbie's) and others, I get the impression that Expedia works out better for U.K. customers. Whenever I've compared hotel rates and flights, they have always been cheaper than the airlines/hotel.

It may well be that this is U.K. specific?

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

I booked my holiday to New York with Expedia for March next year. It cost in total for hotel, flights and taxes £615 each for 9 nights. I booked for me and someone else. I had to make some changes with to my holiday and emailed Expedia and it was changed within 24 hours. Last week the airline changed the flight times (minimal changes, only by a small amount of time) and Expedia emailed me straight away.

Im from the UK, and I wouldnt have booked my holiday with a travel agent or sepereatley, I suppose I like the convienience of booking both together. I didnt mind paying all at once, as I would rather have got all those costs out the way because I had the money then.

I think that it must be a UK thing. I dont know many people who would call their travel agent if they had problems. The travel agents are so expensive here, for instance 4 night trip to New York at a travel agent here is usually about £600-£700.

I prefer Expedia. I tried Travelosity, but I didnt find any good deals and found Expedia easier to use.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

After trying both and several others, I remain a 'do it yourself' type. MSNBC has this wonderful board about travel horrors. One of the threads is titled 'The Gnome Must Die' or something like that and is about Travelocity. Cracked me up, but I am so glad I wasn't the one screwed. I have been by other sites, so I am NOT a believer.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

Yes it may well be that Expedia works out better in the UK. When I have checked Australian flights on Expedia they have been 100's of $$ more expensive than we can buy them from Flight Centre or direct from the airlines.

And i wonder how travel agents continue to exist in the UK if their prices are higher and they dont offer any service. Why would people continue to use them?

Since the internet we never use travel agents per se now either but we do still book flights through Flight Centre if we have a lot of bookings to make. For one offs we would always book directly with the airline and we now always book hotels directly wiht the operator or sometimes through providers in our country of destination. After many unsatisfactory travel agent experiences we would never now use a travel agent to book hotels anywhere. Its mainly because most of the time they dont know anything about the destinations and give incorrect information or advice.

Brighton, UK
Level Contributor
707 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

nozzle

In answer to your question: RIP OFF BRITAIN. I think it's a matter of time before all high-street travel agents close down. Only those who specialize in something or other will survive.

Expedia has my vote, for sure. And having had to change my hotel once the booking had been paid for, I can say it was very easy, only paid a small penalty plus the difference in price, with no problems whatsoever.

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

expedia, also gets my vote- as a solo traveller to NYC it was much cheaper thru them than what it was thru travel ageng.. first time to ny i paid for flight thru travel agent and accomodation via expedia, and paid between the both of them £600 for 6 days,going again in 5weeks this time thru expedia for direct flight accom etc £407 for 6 days at the same place- big diff.. :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

I haven't used Travelocity but have used Expedia on 2 occasions for visiting Kenya but only ued the flight bit - it was cheaper to book the hotel direct when we got there

19. Re: Expedia or Travelosity which is the better bargain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 19, 2009