We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry-on food?

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Carry-on food?

Now that it seems no food is served on most airlines, What are your favorite things to bring on the plane, which are still allowed?

I am travelling with a 7 year old next month on ATA to Hawaii... don't think he'll survive on pretzels.

Anyone out there know what IS and IS NOT allowed????

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry-on food?

You can bring food with you. Just remember to leave his juice paks at home (unless they're 3 oz).

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry-on food?

I always bring power bars and health bars never have had any problem but the power bars look like C4 on the scanners so they always open and check my carry on bag

I have been flying to Asia alot and the flights have more than enough food on Cathay Pacific. LAX to Hong Kong you get 2 meals

one with wine and you have snack savailable the whole trip but it is 14hrs long

New York
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry-on food?

powerbars and healthbars are always good. I like to go to my local gourmet deli and order pasta or a sandwich just before leaving for the flight but the food shouldn't sit for more than 2 hours or so in my opinion.

Monterey Bay area...
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry-on food?

According to what I was told when I asked American Airlines in preparation for an upcoming flight you can't take any liquids or fluids. Thast means no yogurt or pudding. You can buy beverages at the airport after you go through security and take them on board. You can't fill up a container with water from the drinking fountain and take it on--only drinks that you buy from airport restaurants inside the secure waiting area. I'm going to take individually wrapped cheese sticks and high protein granola bars. Check the granola bar boxes and look for the ones that are high protein and low carb. They'll tide you over on a food for sale flight or during a long airport layover.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry-on food?

I don't like to drink too much on a flight and have to run to the bathroom so I take juicy fruit like oranges. I fthere's no food served I will also take a sandwich without dressing (may,mustard) on it.

Tidewater, Virginia
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry-on food?

Oh my! Next we will have to worry about an exploding orange.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry-on food?

We flew from Portland (Or) to Manchester (UK) via Chicago two weeks ago and found that restrictions seemed to have been lifted altogether on the Portland/Chicgo leg.

People were boarding with their lunch which consisted of Sandwich in a takeaway box and a huge carton of cola, plus large trolley cases.

8. Re: Carry-on food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, August 24, 2009