We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Best Views From The Plane.....

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Your Best Views From The Plane.....

I love the window seat, so I can see the world going by. My fav views have been;

The Swiss Alps

New York

Paris

The Deserts of the Middle East

Carribean Island

The Maldives

I also remember flying to New York from Manchester and for the last 4hrs of the flight, flying over Greenland, Newfoundland, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and all you could see was snow and Ice! Amazing!!

What have been your fav views......?

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

As several people have said - Greenland. We have flown over it before but this year flying to Seattle, the West coast of Greenland was truly spectacular and extremely clear. I took some beautiful photographs.

Several years ago, flying to Florida from Manchester, we were approaching New York so I asked if I could visit the flight deck. The pilot was very friendly and as we flew over New York he pointed out the Twin Towers of the Trade Centre.

Each time I think of 9/11 I remember that flight over New York.

Also flying over Germany I saw a city/town that appeared to be perfectly circular . . . . . I have often wondered where it was.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

Flying from Los Angeles to England the captain told us we were about to fly directly over Las Vegas. I took a photograph and zooming in you can actually locate each hotel along the strip.

This year flying from Atlanta to Los Angeles I thought we might fly close to the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately it became dusk when we approached the area.

Anyone seen the Grand Canyon from 35,000 feet?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,755 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

Hi yes I have seen the Grand Canyon from a jet liner flying Phoenix to Salt lake City. It was spectacular and really finished off our trip as we had stayed on the north rim and walked nearly to the bottom driven all the way rounf the US finishing in Phoenix and visited the south rim and then flew across on our last day on the US mainland. I really felt like Id seen it from pretty well all angles.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

I think it was a flight out of Gatwick to Atlanta where I wouldn't let my wife sleep as I had the window seat.

"Now that's Winchester cathedral because there's the M3 next to it so it couldn't be Salisbury, and there's the Severn Bridge, the new one, now wait a sec, just a little bit more, there it is, the old one, and Steep Holm and Flat Holm, the islands in the Bristol Channel one's in Wales and the others in England, can't remember which is which, ooh, that must be Milford Haven, unmistakable, aah, the Irish Sea, why does the seatback map call it the Celtic Sea, mind you they always seem to give Glastonbury a prominent placing over most U.K. cities, ooh, now look that's Dublin and there's the mouth of the Liffey and here they are , the cliffs of Moher, you can even see the spray of the ocean lapping up against the rocks, hmm, err..that Virgin Atlantic plane is a bit too close for comfort, hope he descends a bit, ah well nothing but ocean for the next three hours, are you still awake?"

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
96 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

I'll have to mention Greenland, too.

But the best view has been flying along the Alps (both to the south and to the north) on a clear day, on the way from Munich to Barcelona and from Lisbon to Munich.

I also liked the empty spaces of northern Canada in winter.

And there would be flying over London on a clear night as another favorite.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

There are so many great views aren't there. I'll give you my top three.

On an Air Canada flight, from Toronto to San Francisco, flying very low over Yosemite at sunset. Yosemite is on the approach into SFO, so we had already begun to lose altitude. It was absolutely magical.

I enjoy the views on the Ryanair flight from Stansted to Alghero. If you sit on the left you get a huge variety, from the Alps to the rugged coast of Corsica, and the Asinara Island at the northern tip of Sicily.

A Continental Express flight from Newark to Manchester New Hampshire on a small prop. We took off out over the Hudson River, and turned left right by Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. We were so close to the statue, at what seemed like eye level, that I felt I could have reached out and touched it. On the other side was Manhattan, and we continued low and slow up the Hudson past Yonkers and on up through New England. But it was certainly the most impressive view of NYC I have ever had (and I have arrived by ship in the days of the great liners).

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

World

Something you actually like about a Ryanair flight !!!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

Yup, they provide some great views if little else! :-)

And that should of course have read Sardinia, not Sicily!

Actually, one of the scariest landings I have ever had in almost 50 years of flying was FR at Alghero. It started with a missed approached, and circling for 30 minutes with no announcement, leading people to worry there was something wrong with the plane. When we did land, it was fast and hard, and the pilot struggled to get the nosewheel down. We stopped within a very few feet of the end of the runway.

But the views were great while we circled!

49. Re: Your Best Views From The Plane.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 21, 2009