We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare to the Caribbean ????

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare to the Caribbean ????

What is going on with the airfare to the Caribbean this year? It is so expensive. Does anyone out there have any idea of why and is there a good time to buy tickets for travel in April.

Thanks for any information

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

If you don't care which island you go to, or which days, the best time is about 2-3 weeks before. At that time, they'll be trying to fill the planes and will drop the prices. You'll have to take what's offered, but you'll still go somewhere warm with palm trees for a lot less.

Right now they are gouging the people who have to go down for weddings, and people who have to travel during school holidays and are determined to get their favourite resort.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

It depends. Boston to Barbados with American can be around 520USD. Bos to Jamaica can be 100USD less.

where exactly do you want to go?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

I just checked today on April 14-23 next near JFK to CUN on American. OVER $600 - thats a substantial increase over last year.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

I am looking at April 7th flying out of Boston with my daughter to Turks and Caicos with my husband,son and niece coming to meet us on the 14th and staying unil the 28th. Looks like the 14th is already booked up and the prices are extremely high.

Thanks all.

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

I've found the best fares to T&C and the bahamas by flying to florida first and then jumping to the islands (usually on American). My best luck has been through Fort Lauderdale, but also try Miami, Tampa, and Orlando.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

Hi there,

At this moment, on www.priceline.com I find American for USD 805 pp incl taxes for departure 07 april and USD 824.00 pp incl taxes for departure 14 april.

Flight Boston - Miami - Caicos v.v.

Regards

Marcel

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,661 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

If you can, add a couple of days and fly mid week. Always cheaper. And for flights in April, wait a little while. We usually find flights for May at the end of the year, or early after the new years.

If you are really concerned and don't want to wait, be sure to buy your tickets direct from the airline, not a third party like Expedia etc.

If the price drops for your exact itinerary, you can usually get a refund or voucher, depending on the airline.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

Thanks to everyone for your helpful information.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

sxmlover

I hope you see this, We went ahead and bought our tickets, because my husband and son are flying down a week after my daughter and I, So I wanted to make sure we were all together on the way home. We also had enough FF miles for two tickets. The tickets we did buy were almost $900 dollars, so your saying that if the prices come down, we can call AA and get the differance back? Is there a penalty?

Thanks for any Information, you all have been a big help.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare to the Caribbean ????

Sxmlover?

A refund for the difference when a bargain comes by??? That would surprise me..... Cheapest fares are allways nonrefundable, or refundable against a certain cancellationfee. So it would be interesting to find an airline that pays back the difference.........but to my knowledge, I have not heard that yet..........