We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you ever been upgraded?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Have you ever been upgraded?

I have never been lucky enough to get an upgrade when flying, but was wondering if anyone else had gotten an upgrade - say from economy to business or first class - and how it happened to them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

I just got an upgrade by complaining......with Qantas.

I travelled recently from Darwin to Brisbane and upgraded to business class and had the worst experience ever.....too long to explain..

But I did explain to Qantas, and they were wonderful with me, I now have a FREE business class ticket when ever I choose to use it.

So, if you have a problem then complain......that;s my motto anyway, and it seems to work wherever I go.

EM.

london uk
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

have been upgraded on malyasian, cathy, singapore...all with out asking , and not being particularly smartly dressed either

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

I was upgraded on Air France from Paris to Cincinnati. When I asked why, the gate attendant said, "Perhaps it is your birthday?"

Well, it wasn't, so I still don't know why. The person sitting next to me was a physician and was also upgraded. I would recommend using the Dr prefix if you have one.

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

Have you ever been DOWNGRADED !!

To do this, it is best to fly with QATAR AIRLINES, book & pay well in advance, say 3 months, preferably in business class, arrange for your prefered seats by checking in at the very earliest possible time, maybe 24 hours in advance, do not join their Frequent Flyers Club. Then all you have to do is wait until you get to the gate and there your boarding passes will be taken off you and rear seat economy ones given to you instead by one of the many surely and arrogant QATAR AIRWAYS' staff members who will off-handedly advise you that your business class seats are required for Members of the said Frequent Flyer Club, and you will end up on the very last rear row in economy, really convenient for the extremely smelly and dirty toilets. If you are of European race, please don't waste your time complaining as the Doha locals always get preferencial treatment.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

Sometimes you can get an upgrade (especially on an international flight that's overbooked) because:

-You have status with the airline (or an alliance partner).This means that you're a regular flier with them. Most airlines will upgrade a status passenger before a non-status passenger.

-You paid a higher fare.

-You're a solo traveler and the airline finds it easier to move 1 passenger vs 2 or 3.

-You asked the gate agent if they needed to bump anyone on the flight. Some gate agents offer a nice 'payback'.

-You asked and got lucky! (this is the least likely to happen).

-There's a very bad oversold situation in coach, with lots of empty seats upfront. You happened by at the right time.

-You offered the gate agent a bribe or a gift.

-You're a regular passenger at the airport, the gate agent knows you, and wala.

-You tell the gate agent a 'story' (fill in the blank).

The airline computers will pick passengers to upgrade in advanc, based on some of the above factors.

To answer the question, I have been upgraded to business class on United. I do have status. On a JFK/LAX flight, they handed me a new boarding pass (from coach) because they were oversold in the back.

As always, your mileage may vary. Remember to smile!!

West Australia
Level Contributor
514 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

“Have you ever been upgraded?”

No… and it is an absolute travesty that I have not!

Something should be done about it!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

I have been upgraded to Business on an international flight... I think because

1- I was well dressed ( only becasue I was meeting a client just after landing)

and

2- I got to the airport super early just at the right time when they were reviewing their passenger load.

I have also been upgraded to Qantas club lounge and business on Qantas several due to a friend working at check in. Good friend to have!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

Surfoz, nothing better than having "friends" at the check in counter, I which I knew some.......

Although, we did get an upgrade all the way from Sydney to Rome..due to a "friend".......number one seat too !

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

So true Ellemay though i think those days are becoming fewer.

Everyone seems to have a good friend at Qantas these days!

70. Re: Have you ever been upgraded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 13, 2009