We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coats?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Coats?

I tried this once before, but there were no replies. Maybe someone can tell me this time.

Can one now carry on a coat as well as the allowed carry-on case? Or does one have to pack the coat?

I am a bit worried about this, as I'm headed to the UK,and then Hungary and Poland in November. Obviously, I will need a winter coat. Those things are big (at least if they are going to keep you from freezing in -?? weather)!!

Does anyone know about this?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coats?

Hi Oddone 123

So far as i know, you can take a coat onboard aircraft, obviously you will have to put it thru the security scanner at the airport first though.

I guess most people heading to Europe in November will be needing a winter coat, including the aircrew too !!!

So, before boarding, just put the coat on, then take off again once onboard!

I am heading out East in November, obviously don't need a coat out there, but will when i get back to London, so will wear it when i board, then forget about it for a month till i get back here.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Chiily London in November!!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coats?

Thanks. However, when the new rules first came in, I was told 'no outerwear.' I've seen nothing changing that. So - is one allowed to wear one's winter coat onto the plane?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coats?

Ok

So maybe not explicit enough, restrictions are PURELY on hand baggage, and NOT on what you happen to be wearing at the time.

Regards

Dave

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coats?

This is a little contradictory.

As long as I've been flying, If you show up at security wearing a ski jacket, they will make you take it off and xray it seperately.

But now they're saying you can't carry it on, you have to be wearing it. So you carry it through the airport, which is always heated to 90 degrees even in July, and then put it on when you get to security so that it's not carry on.

But you can't wear it through security, it has to be xrayed, so you take it off. But now it's carry on again...

Oh the list of ways the latest security measures are so poorly thought out.

You could pack it for the flight to the UK. It's not going to be so cold that you're going to need it to get from the plane to the terminal. But then, I flew last week with my lightest carry on ever, just my purse, and they lost my suitcase for the first time ever. So what do you do if you pack your coat and they lose your luggage? It will be cold enough to make being without a coat for the 2 days until the luggage is found most unpleasant.

I'd check the TSA and BAA websites closer to your flying date. Maybe when it gets cold enough to need a big coat, they'll figure something out. These guys don't think ahead.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coats?

Thanks to both of you. I have tried to find some mention of this issue on both of those sites, and no one says anything about coats. Unfortunately, if one has to pack a full-length winter coat, it is hugely bulky, and makes a big difference in the size of one's suitcase! (Even if it the luggage doesn't get lost!) I'm not planning on trying to carry on everything. I just want to be sure that my coat and I get there together. I can put up with a lot of taking things off and putting them on again.

Actually, I'm hoping to get by with one carrier type bag as a carry-on, and two small suitcases. If I have to pack the coat, then it becomes the carry-on, one small suitcase, and a large suitcase. (All together, it's a 30 day trip, part of which is business, so trying to get by with backpackers' type clothing, etc. just won't work.)

If either of you hear anything further, would you please post it? I'm flying BA, incidentally. I've tried to contact them, but have had no luck. Of course, I intend to keep checking. It just seemed like a good idea to start asking this question as soon as possible.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coats?

Hi again

I do have to maybe disagree with one or two things here.

Firstly it WILL be cold here in UK in November, so packing your coat into hold luggage will not be a good idea !!, even walking from plane to customs and immigration is cold, trust me i know!, particularly if your flight, like most trans Atlantic ones do, arrives in early morning.

Also, where you are coming from, Denver, well won't that be quite cold at this time of year?, surely you will need to be wearing a coat there?

Secondly coats have always, and now, been allowed thru UK airports, even in summer people do wear them, and jackets too, and as long as i can remember at ALL UK airports, you are required to take them off for security screening, along with bulky sweaters too.

Regards

Dave

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coats?

Travellerguy,

Thanks for your message. It looks as though you are thinking that this is my first time from the US. It's not. I am quite aware of the weather in England. (I lived there for 6 years, 5 of them without central heating.) I'm also very familiar with LHR, having flown either in or out of it at least 30 times, mainly to visit the UK. I can cope with Heathrow and get myself to Exeter without a coat, if need be. (Heathrow Express to Paddington, and then train to Exeter. Taxi from St. Davids to my hotel. Could be a bit annoying if the flight doesn't get a gate, but I won't die. Unless customs and immigration have been moved outside, then it's only from the plane to the bus to the terminal that one would be outside. If we get a gate, then it's all inside anyway.

I'm also familiar with the 'take your coat off, put it in the bin so it goes through the x-ray machine, then pick it up on the other side' bit. (Been there, done that.)

What IS concerning me is the changes made after the late summer terror alert. I know initially that one was NOT allowed to carry on (or wear) one's coat - it had to go either into the little bag you could carry on, or be in checked luggage. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not that is still in effect, particularly on BA. Nowhere on the BA, BAA, TSA, or any other site, have I found any mention of whether coats can now be worn (and go through the old procedure) or not. No updates to the originals mention coats at all.

Actually, most of the time in the Winter, Denver isn't that cold - a light coat (or none) frequently suffices. (Not true in the mountains, of course.) However, I grew up in NH, and that's a whole different story. So, I'm used to cold weather. I also know that it is likely to be bitterly cold in Budapest and Krakow in November (Remember Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812?).

Does that clarify my question a bit? I hope so. What I don't want to encounter is arriving at DIA (Denver) planning on wearing my coat, only to find that it has to be packed, and having to discard almost all of my clothes in order to do so., with no way to get them back to my house in Denver.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coats?

Hi again Oddone 123

Thanks for clarifying the main points again, but really i don't think you have anything to worry about with taking your coat, after all, won't everyone flying this time of year to Europe be wearing one, flight crew included?

When i flew out of Gatwick a few weeks ago, i was wearing a zipper jacket, and that was ok, but had to put it through the scanner.

As you are flying with BA, your flight will be arrivaing at T4, so no, the customs and immigration is not outside, well it wasn't a few weeks ago anyway!, and BA are the priniciple users of T4, so your flight should have a gate.

On a lighter side, no, i do not remember Napoleons invasion, and i am sure he did not have to worry about taking his coat with him, or did he?.

Anyway, good luck, but as i said, i am sure that you will be fine, nowhere, on BAAs Heathrow website, does it mention anything about top coats, but that to me suggests that there is not a problem anyway, it does however say what you cannot take, and that was updated just last Friday. 21st September in light of the relaxation of some restrictions..

I will find out for myself soon, i am flying out of T4 on November 1st, and i will be taking a coat with me, don't need one where i am going, but sure will on my return to there in December.

Regards

Dave

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coats?

Dave,

Thanks. If you can find out anything between now and Nov. 1, please let me know. If I MUST take that dratted large suitcase, I will. However, I really would like to avoid that if I can.

I'm flying DIA-LHR Nov. 1, LHR-BUD Nov. 8, BUD-LHR Nov. 23, and LHR-DIA Nov. 27. So, the 1st and last are T4, and the middle 2 are T1, unless they've switched everything around since last Nov. As I said, I have no problem putting the thing through the screener. It's just that right after, one could carry on only the plastic baggie, and no 'outerwear' was allowed. As things have gradually been relaxed, nothing whatsoever has appeared about coats.

Sorry about the confusion. Believe me, I do know what the weather is (or can be) like. (It got down to -14C last Nov. in Budapest one day I was there. It also got well below freezing in Exeter - far colder than I ever saw it in 3 years of living there. That was the big snowstorm on Bodmin Moor that stranded motorists for hours.) I guess I should have clarified my concern when I posted the question.

Thanks again.

Liz

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coats?

Liz

If i find out anymore, then i will surely leave a post on here, no problem.

May see you on Novmber 1st, i am flying from T4 to Sri Lanka on that date!!

Regards

Dave