We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
182 reviews
140 helpful votes
Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Well, I'm from India and me and my cousin is going to Bangkok. This is the first time we will be travelling by flight. Before this we have never travel by flight not even domestic.

So I'm not sure about the procedures to follow regarding flight. We got the ticket but didn't got any seat number or something. Before booking I read about Window and Asile, and as this is the first time, we want to take atleast one window seat. But while booking we didn't got any such option for choosing seats like in Train (Upper Berth, Middle Berth, Lower Berth etc.).

So what is exactly the procedure to checkin? Also as this is international I guess Visa and all will be checked, also the bag check and security.

Can anyone please help me out regarding the detailed procedure about checking in and the baggage and security check?

I know this can be a detailed reply, so any blog or link will help. Though I googled it but unable to find relevant results.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
18,090 posts
72 reviews
108 helpful votes
1. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

You need to tell us which airline it is and whether Kolkata is where you are flying from.

Edited: 3:36 am, November 23, 2014
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
182 reviews
140 helpful votes
2. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Yes. I'm flying from Kolkata (CCU) to Bangkok (BKK) via Indigo.

England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
290 reviews
162 helpful votes
3. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Exciting! Some airlines allow you to prebook specific seats but many now charge to choose seats. Give them a ring or email them to check.

Basically you go to the airport around 2-3 hours before you fly. Screens will direct you to the correct check in desk. Your luggage will have a weight limit so they will check the weight and take your luggage from you. You will keep ahold of your smaller hand luggage where you cam keep your paperwork, purse and things you want for the flight. You aren't allowed to carry drinks on the flight but they will give you drinks while you are flying. Any liquids need to be placed in a clear plastic bag and no more than 100ml each.

This was put in place after 9/11. They will give you a boarding card with your seat numbers on. They will check your passports.

Then you have some time to look around the airport and screens will tell you when to board and which gate to go to. At the gate they will look at your boarding pass and sometimes they'll look at your passport again.

At your destination and sometimes at any transit airports they will check passports and visas. At your destination you will walk to baggage collection and the screens will tell you which conveyor belt your bags will come out on. They might question you at immigration and ask you your reason for visiting, how long you are staying etc.

All airline and airport staff will be able to answer any questions so try not to worry. Just enjoy your first flight. Take some sweets to suck incase your ears are effected at take off and landing.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,090 posts
72 reviews
108 helpful votes
4. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

The check in information for IndiGo is here:

https://content.goindigo.in/Information/FAQ

If you didn't select specific seats you can do so here: https://book.goindigo.in/Booking/Retrieve Some seats are free but "Premium" seats cost 800 IRP.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
182 reviews
140 helpful votes
5. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Thanks a lot for the help :)

I'll try to main Indigo regarding the choice of seats. So as I can understand, seat choosing is offered at Airport while collecting the Boarding Pass right? So I can request there too (if needed, I'm willing to pay extra upto 500INR for windows seat)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
149 reviews
175 helpful votes
6. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Some tips

1. Download an airport map. This will show you the drop off points for flight departures, as well as the internal layout of the airport.

2. Get to the airport at least 3 hours before the gate closes for your flight. Gates close about half an hour before the flight actually departs.

3. Once at the airport, look for the large arrival/departure screens. This will tell you when the check in counter is open, and what it's number is. Proceed there with your luggage, flight ticket, and passport.

4. At the check in counter, your ticket will be checked, your luggage will be weighed, and your passport and visa (if required) will all be checked. The counter staff will ask you security questions, particularly about banned items in your bags. They will then print off a luggage label for your bags, which will be moved onto a conveyor belt and taken to the flight. You'll get a little ticket for your luggage and a personal boarding card form the flight. You must keep these safe and with you at all times.

5. After check in, follow the airport signs for flight departures, which will include a check on your boarding card, passport, and security screening.

6.You cannot take any containers for liquids in excess of 100 ml past security.You may also be asked to remove your shoes and place them, with your hand luggage in a plastic tray for security scanning. Place all coins, keys, phones, in the same plastic trays.

7. Once through passport control, and security, you will be in the main body of the departure terminal. There are screens in the terminal to tell you which gate your flight leaves from, and whether or not that gate is "open". You can stop for a meal, stretch your legs with a walk or do some shopping, but do make sure you allow yourself enough time to walk to the actual departure gate before the gate closes. Keep checking the departure screens.

8. Once your flight's gate opens, proceed to the gate. This will be a number, and the airport signs will direct you to the gate number. At hte gate, you will be dorected to a waiting lounge. Yiou will need to show your passport and boarding card to get into the waiting lounge.

9. Staff in the waiting lounge will announce when you actually board the flight, usually by announcing seat rows. You may need to take a shuttle bus or walk down a skybridge to board the airplane.

10. On entering the aircraft, show staff your boarding card, and they will direct you to the right section of the plane.

On Arrival,

1. Follow the airport signs for immigration and passport control, and from there go to the baggae hall to wait for your luggage.

2. The baggage hall have screens telling you which numbered conveyor belt to pick your luggage up from.

3. Once you have your luggage proceed to customs.

4. After clearing customs, you follow the signs to the arrivals hall, from which you'll see signs for taxi's, buses, trains etc to get you into Bangkok.

On your return home, follow the same process for departures and arrivals.

Edited: 8:00 am, November 23, 2014
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
27,424 posts
7. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Seat selection is offered now, by the website, and if you don't choose a seat in advance, they'll assign you one at the airport. But you should pick one now.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
182 reviews
140 helpful votes
8. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Thanks a lot mcpinder for such a detailed post. Helped a lot. Really excited about my first flight trip..!!

@BrooklynBrdge, I'm sorry, I didn't got any option to choose any seat while booking. And now I don't know how to choose seat.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,090 posts
72 reviews
108 helpful votes
9. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

"And now I don't know how to choose seat."

https://book.goindigo.in/Booking/Retrieve Some seats are free but "Premium" seats cost 800 IRP.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
15,743 posts
149 reviews
175 helpful votes
10. Re: Detailed Procedure For International Flight

Krisnandu

Glad to have helped. A word of warning. Bangkok airport is huge and widely spread out, so do allow yourself plenty of time to get to the departure gate lounge. Hope you have a great trip.