We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
411 reviews
190 helpful votes
Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

A friend had his powerbank confiscated at the Beijing airport because it has no marking stating the capacity (must be one of those homemade powerbank!). There was a whole box full of confiscated powerbank at the airport. This probably applies to other airport in china as well.

The rules on a piece of paper handed over by the security stated that you can only carry on if it is clearly marked with value <20000mAH x 5V or < 100wH. For those between 20000mAH to 32000mAH (100wH - 160wH) you have to declare and check in. Actually the rating allowed is very high, most powerbanks are much lower!

Not sure if there is any similar rules in place elsewhere?

Edited: 5 years ago
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
69,417 posts
2,369 reviews
2,126 helpful votes
1. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

I wonder if the "homemade powerbank" had something else inside, and the X-Ray picked that up?

Considering the security issues with electronics, I do not think that I would try to fly with a "homemade powerbank."

Hunt

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
107,171 posts
16 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

I think it may be universal. This year, I had to travel with a portable oxygen concentrator for use on flights. Qantas Special Services wanted to know about the battery capacity, and gave approval after we advised that the battery specifications stated 98 watt-hours. I assume that the POC manufacturer knows about the 100 wh limit.

The other airlines were happy when they noted that the device and its batteries had US FAA approval.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
411 reviews
190 helpful votes
3. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

FAA actually stipulated passengers can carry on 2 large size Li Ion batteries of 100-300WH each, in addition to any consumer electronic batteries of no more than 100WH:

faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_office…

It is good to know that China actually stepping up the efforts in screening passengers carrying out of specs batteries, as there are so many substandard products in the market.

Edited: 5 years ago
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
51,543 posts
918 reviews
519 helpful votes
4. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

AFAIK, this rule is universal but not universally enforced.

Mabalacat...
1 post
5. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

Have one of my powerbanks also confiscated, on my way from Manila to Chicago (with a stopover in Beijing), because of the erased labeling.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
45 helpful votes
6. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

Don Mueang airport in Bangkok also has such restrictions, with the only difference being that you can't even check in your powerbank (carry-on only). For carry-ons, you can only carry on a maximum capacity of 20,00mAh and now my high capacity powerbank is now their property :(

7. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:07 pm, June 01, 2015
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
27 reviews
75 helpful votes
8. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

I transited through PEK in December with my cheero powerbank. No problems at all. Security was however, strangely interested as to whether or not I had an umbrella in my bag, and this was before it was x-rayed.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
87 reviews
199 helpful votes
9. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

spam at #7 reported

Boston...
1 post
10. Re: Powerbank carry on restriction at Beijing airport
Save

Came back from Beijing on June 23rd 2015. Still is the policy it seems. Security re-xrayed my backpack because they saw the powerbank inside it. Hand inspected the powerbank and since the label was intact they let me keep it.